Seizing New Shroud Wires to the Spreaders

shorty73

Hi, I'm a fairly new owner of a Capri 14.2 (#615). I recently had a local shop make new shrouds for me which I installed myself using 18 gauge stainless wire.

The original shrouds were "seized" with what looked like lightweight bailing wire (totally rusted). One side was bound so the shroud wouldn't pass through the seizing wire while the other side slipped through. I looked online and wasn't able to find a definitive answer: In addition to trapping the shroud in the slot in the spreader, should the seizing wire bind tightly to the shroud , or should the shroud be free to slide through the seizing wire (while remaining in the spreader slot)?

I used a small allan wrench to generate some space while wrapping the seizing wire around the shroud. Seemed to work fine; the shrouds freely move through the seizing wire. I did this before getting a response to an email I sent Catalina. It's a little confusing, but what I'm reading is that I did it wrong, and I should bind things tightly. Do others read the same?

Dear Justin,

Thank you for one of the easier questions of the day.

When it or someone says….“seizing the wire” as the word implies, it does mean to wrap the thinner stainless steel “seizing wire” with enough loops and wraps back and forth from the holes in the end of the spreaders, around the side shrouds that the spreaders, (which the manual will often recommend 5 to 7 degrees of upward lift at the ends above horizontal or parallel to the water, that not only will the wires not come loose or out of the slots from the spreaders, but they also will not have much room (enough friction) to not move around or slide down. (to water parallel or worse) It’s good if the shrouds and spreaders are secured together, but better if the seizing wires keep the spreaders from moving up or down at will from wind or sea conditions….... I trust this answers the question for you?

So...assuming I have to redo things to completely bind the shrouds and spreaders together: how do I position the shroud in the spreader and secure so when the mast is up, the spreader is in the correct spot (creating the correct 5-7 degree angle)? When the mast is down, do I just apply some tension on the shroud and secure the spreader 5-7 degrees off perpendicular from the mast?

Hope this isn't too much of a noob question, but advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, the boat has a roller furling jib.

The spreaders should form a triangle with the sections of shroud and mast. And that should be a rigid shape.

If the shroud can slide at the spreader than there's the chance of the spreader shifting its end down and then it does nothing and you get slack shrouds.

So, yes, redo the binding and make it tight.

Yes, you pull the shrouds tight and adjust based on angle to the mast.

Sounds good. Thanks for letting me know how to do it.

I appreciate the info on this website. I found info on anti turtle options (presently a big apple juice container, but eventually a Baby Bob) and propulsion options (old Minn Kota and U1 deep cycle secured in a battery box at the transom). There's plenty more on the to do list as well, including a boomkicker waiting patiently in the box. Thanks again!

I have a follow up question. I redid the seizing wire and I'm not sure I have it "tight" enough. I'm using 18 gauge stainless solid wire, and while its pretty tight, if I pull fairly hard on the shroud, it just begins to slip through the seizing wire. I haven't been out to test it yet, so it might be fine, but...

how tight is "tight?
what technique do people use to do the wrapping in order to be tight?
is there a better wire I should be using? (just using wire ordered through Amazon for yard stuff)

I made three full loops of seizing wire on either side of the spreader (maybe I need more loops?)

Thanks in advance.

Mine has the coating removed at the spreaders and the wire holds it firmly. If you haven't removed the coating there maybe that will help.

Back