Seitech dolly for Sunfish

Denome

I bought a seitech dolly on Craig's list. Seller did not know what boat (laser, sunfish, etc) it was built for. I can tell by the measurements that it was built for a much larger boat than laser or sunfish. I'm thinking of modifying my dolly for a sunfish, but I cannot find the dimensions for the aluminum parts on line (axle, centerline support, stanchions). If anyone has the original packing list from a seitech sunfish dolly, the dimensions are listed with the parts. Could you take a photo of the parts list and post a reply. I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

You can also call Laser Performance and ask to talk to their Parts Store people, they can help with dimensions or parts, like a proper length strap if you don't want to cut yours down. Had a friend just get that info from them, I'll see if he still has it.

LP: (401) 643-1900

PS: Measure twice, cut once :)
KB

The sunfish dolly is about the same size or wider than a laser dolly without the gunwale supports, so it would seem the strap is bigger than it should be for a sunfish

I bought a seitech dolly on Craig's list. Seller did not know what boat (laser, sunfish, etc) it was built for. I can tell by the measurements that it was built for a much larger boat than laser or sunfish. I'm thinking of modifying my dolly for a sunfish, but I cannot find the dimensions for the aluminum parts on line (axle, centerline support, stanchions). If anyone has the original packing list from a seitech sunfish dolly, the dimensions are listed with the parts. Could you take a photo of the parts list and post a reply. I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

I wouldn't be real quick to cut down a dolly, myself, mainly because the larger boat sizes are more expensive and I hate to reduce value. If it is close I might still use it; if it is all that much larger that will also mean it is perhaps worth quite a bit more. I might check around for an advantageous trade or something. If its size is that much more expensive you can maybe get a sunfish dolly plus a lot more, maybe even another boat or something also.

Reactions: tag
I have a laser and plan to soon have a sunfish. I want to use the dolly for both. I was curious to see the dimensions for the laser and sunfish dolly for comparison. The dolly I have works well to transport the laser hull in and out of the lake where I sail. I'm not sure how stable the laser would be on this dolly if rigged, as the axle is quite wide. I have a set of dimensions for the laser dolly. I was looking for the sunfish dolly dimensions to see where the differences are. Currently my axle is 60" compared to 48" for a laser dolly. If I shorten the axle, I'll need a new sling/strap to match. The only part I might shorten is the bow stanchion. It is 23 1/2 inches, which raises the bow, and therefore the stern has a tendency to bottom out on the ground when the front of the dolly is lifted. The bow stanchion on a laser dolly is only 16".

I have a laser and plan to soon have a sunfish. I want to use the dolly for both. I was curious to see the dimensions for the laser and sunfish dolly for comparison. The dolly I have works well to transport the laser hull in and out of the lake where I sail. I'm not sure how stable the laser would be on this dolly if rigged, as the axle is quite wide. I have a set of dimensions for the laser dolly. I was looking for the sunfish dolly dimensions to see where the differences are. Currently my axle is 60" compared to 48" for a laser dolly. If I shorten the axle, I'll need a new sling/strap to match. The only part I might shorten is the bow stanchion. It is 23 1/2 inches, which raises the bow, and therefore the stern has a tendency to bottom out on the ground when the front of the dolly is lifted. The bow stanchion on a laser dolly is only 16".

I use a Laser dolly interchangeably with Sunfish (the principal differences are that the laser dolly has the flip-up gunwale supports, which you just ignore for Sunfish, plus the plastic bow support is different), but I did have to get the different Sunfish plastic bow piece for the Laser dolly for extended use with Sunfish.

I also have the Sunfish Seitechs, and I am sure someone will correct me if here is a size difference between the two, but I don't recall any difference, including strap length. I don't have the two in the same place now, so I can't swear they are exactly the same, but they are functionally interchangeable (with the bow support switch).

Back