Seeking advice from owners of older Lasers

OldDog

Hello
I am looking to purchase a used Laser sailboat this summer. So far I have only seen two boats one was made in 1980 and one was made in 1987. Both of these boats had a lot of spider web stress crack in the hull. Is this to be expected for boats this age or is this a sign that that the boat was either used hard or not properly stored/transported?

My current boat is a 16’ Ray Green Rebel. It was built in 1964, weighs 700 lbs and is still solid. The Laser is a new breed of animal for me in that it is very light so I’m not sure what to expect to find in a boat that is 20 to 30 years old. Are the spider web cracks to be expected, or is this a flag to walk away and keep looking? Also was the Laser ever manufactured with inspection ports by the mast step or is this a flag that there may have been some repair work? I found the Laser buying guide and that was really helpful to read but when I actually looked at the 2 boats I had to wonder if what I saw was to be expected. It would be great to hear from folks who still sail Lasers that are 20 and 30 years old and find out what their boats look and perform like.

Thanks!

Hi, I think I can take a stab at your questions for you, I have owned a 71, 76, 84, and a 94 Laser.

Small spider cracks are not a worry too much, if the area is still solid and everything, this is not necessary bad.

For the mast step, the inspection port is most likely a good thing. With this port you can look into the hull, feel it for moisture, and inspect the mast step. If it was reinforced that is a good thing. Just do the check filling the step with water, to see if it leaks or not. The port can allow for ventilation, which helps keep the boat dry and solid.

I would say as long as you use your judgment, and stay away from obvious bad things upon inspection you should be okay. Reading the guide is a great place to see what those bad things could be.

Stress cracks are pretty normal with the old boats, even the ones that were taken very good care of probably have some spider cracks. The inspection port near the mast step means that the mast step was probably repaired or at least inspected. It also enables you to inspect mast step and any repair work before buying it and realizing that there is a problem. The buyers guide has a great deal of helpful info, most lasers will get a leak at some point and you can probably find an old leaky laser for cheap or even free! The first laser I owned someone was going junk because it leaked.

hi everyone

Thanks for getting back to me. I did do the water test in the mast step and it did appear to hold water so that was good. I was more concerned with the stress cracks in the hull afterwards. It looks like the boat at one point was transported on a trailer with bunk rails vice hanging from the gunnels. The buying guide is a great reference,. i would not have even though to inspect the mast step by filling it. Also read a thread yesterday about problems with the plastic bailers on the late 1980's boats. This boat had one and I thought it did not look secure but again I'm still just getting familiar with the Laser.

Thanks for the feedback

Lasers come up for sale all the time. you've now looked closely at 2 vintage lasers. when you find them look at newer boats to compare. just because you're a beginner doesn't mean you have to buy an old boat, not that there is anything wrong with older boats. Shop around and see what's out there and what fits your budget. you're getting a great education on used boats to make an informed purchase.

Hi Stick

Good point! I haven't even considered looking at boats out of my price range (i.e. newer boats most likely in better condition). It would be a great idea to idea to see what boats from the 1990's and 2000's look like just as benchmarks to get a feel for typical wear.

Back