Securing boat from theft

Just A Mom

Okay, guys......a strange question.....

We happen to be going to Michigan to see a concert tomorrow. This is a 2.5 hour car ride and a border crossing. However, I also just came upon a boat that is 20 minutes away from where we are going that we are interested in.

Here's the problem....if we pick up this boat we would have to drive it, on its trailer, to the concert. The venue has venue parking (in the parking lot - not street parking or anything like that). It's a sporting complex. So, how the heck do we keep it from being stolen while in the concert? We DO have a trailer lock that goes in the trailer but how do we secure the actual boat?

Has anyone been in this situation? Advice, comments and suggestions appreciated.

I think the easiest thing would be to pay for the boat and ask the seller to let you keep it at his/her home until after the concert, then pick it up after the show.

Not likely for the boat to be pulled off the trailer. They either steal the whole trailer with the boat or don't bother, because thieves are generally too lazy to lift a boat off the trailer.

Also it looks pretty normal to hook up a trailer and drive away. It does not look normal to pick a boat up off the boat trailer and strap it to the top of a Yugo.

+1 to Rob's suggestion, makes lots of sense.

If for whatever reason you want to really secure it, there are 3 points to be locked:
- trailer to ball: a lock thru the lever on the trailer receiver which grabs the ball
- ball+hitch to vehicle: you can get locking hitch pins- I've seen them for like $20 range at places like Walmart, Home Depot, Harbor Freight in the USA (search on "locking hitch pin" should find them)
- boat to trailer: a long bicycle or motorcycle cable or chain thru the daggerboard slot, and thru the trailer frame. If 1 is too short, use a 2nd. Best if it's plastic coated to protect the gel coat.

I'm guessing that the boat in question is a 2009 Radial, and if so, it looks like it's not at the seller's home. You may be able to leave it at what looks like a storage facility in the photos to retrieve after the concert, particularly if there is an attendant.

If you do take it with you to the concert, in addition to the good suggestions above, I'd put all of the rigging, including the mast and boom, into your car if it will fit.

I'm guessing that the boat in question is a 2009 Radial, and if so, it looks like it's not at the seller's home. You may be able to leave it at what looks like a storage facility in the photos to retrieve after the concert, particularly if there is an attendant.

If you do take it with you to the concert, in addition to the good suggestions above, I'd put all of the rigging, including the mast and boom, into your car if it will fit.

You, sir, have done your research. ;) Yes, it would be the 2009 in question.

We are going back and forth on this one. The logistics are certainly a factor here.

And, yes, we would put all rigging in our van. We have a trailer lock that goes up in the tongue and locks. We own a camper so we are aware of locking the trailer but I wonder about the actual boat. We're going back and forth wondering if it would be worth the risk.

< the actual boat >

A chain or cable (preferably plastic coated) thru the daggerboard hole + thru the trailer frame should do it. Sold to lock a motorcycle or bicycle.
A determined + prepared thief with a bolt cutter might be able to cut it, but it certainly slows down the casual / opportunistic guys.

I don't think you will have to worry much at a concert, it's hardly a venue where a thief would come prepared to steal a boat. I would make sure you lock the trailer to the hitch, and make sure the hitch is locked to the car. If you want to be extra safe, lock the boat to the trailer through the daggerboard slot as others have mentioned. I would recommend going to a hardware store (or West Marine) and having some thick wire cut with two loops installed on each end and use a padlock, that will probably be cheaper than trying to find a 10'+ bike lock. I wouldn't leave it locked like that while driving.

Put everything else, including the spars inside your car, just be careful not to slam the tailgate closed and punch a hole in your windshield with the upper mast, ask me how I know?

Best of luck!

If you are really concerned: which is more important?

The boat or the concert?

Should you drop one?

Steve & Alex from Indented Head

Back