Sealing the Coaming

Guybrush3pwood

Did a leak test today and realized I have some leaks on a couple of the rivets on the coaming and the autobailer. I know I have to replace my autobailer, but as far as the coaming goes, is there a recommended way to sealing it that doesn't involve taking the coaming off? Should I even worry about them leaking? I'm assuming not much water is getting in through there anyway. I did a search but everything I came up with seem to involve removing the coaming completely and filling holes, etc. I'm not sure the amount of leaking going on there would justify such a project. Thanks for any suggestions!

Mine are nice stainless Phillips head screws. Maybe someone changed them over the years. 1979 Sunfish.

Early Alcort boats had screws, AMF changed over to rivets at one point. I wouldn't be concerned about the rivet air leak. But for the bailer, you should check the seam between the cockpit and hull for air leaks.

Early Alcort boats had screws, AMF changed over to rivets at one point. I wouldn't be concerned about the rivet air leak. But for the bailer, you should check the seam between the cockpit and hull for air leaks.

Ordering the new bailer tonight and I'll report back once it comes in and I can take the old one off. Guessing there should be no open gaps or holes in there?

Epoxy syringes can be bought at Joann Fabric and Hobby stores.

I got some from a medical supply place but it took half an hour to run the background checks and get manager approvals to confirm I didn't appear to be a drug dealer. Only partially joking.

Reactions: tag
Wow, almost $1 a piece! I'm considering buying a pack of West System syringes and hanging around outside Joann's, and asking shopper's "Psssst, hey buddy, wanna buy a syringe? Only $7."

Guybrush3pwood, we are lazy and buy our thickened epoxy in caulk cartridge tubes, either Pettit Flexpoxy or TotalBoat THIXO. There is not a ton of resin and hardener in the cartridge, but it is great for small repairs and the components store well for a long time. You can also get it colored with wood flour if you happen to do any wood projects.

For those on a budget, you can save normally-disposable containers, drill the openings larger to accommodate the product's application, and save up to $7 per syringe. :)

Fullscreen capture 10172021 80006 PM.bmp.jpg

Back