SeaDek

River Time

I am curious to hear from anyone that has ever installed Sea Dek on their Sunfish around the cockpit to keep from sliding in strong winds/rough seas? Several years ago SeaDek templated a kit that basically covers the entire top of a Sunfish. I looked at using some of the pieces they designed, but I didn’t love them, so I have created my own...
5DC85F67-C59C-4D03-A348-AA4723DCB5A9.jpeg

It will be 6mm thick, Storm Grey over Sunset Orange with the embossed texture top layer and a routed hexagon pattern which will show the orange outline through the grey top layer. They will create a mirror image for the starboard side. I am trying to keep it to a half sheet of material to keep the cost down, so they may have to make a few minor changes to the dimensions of the “legs” above and below the cockpit. From their website:
08D61319-086C-4AC2-A44B-0CD9F4A329FD.jpeg

Thoughts and comments welcome.

I've seen their teak and holly stuff on power boats a lot and it looks great. However it is fragile to some extent. I has a softness to it, that you definitely don't wear hard sole street shoes on it, but you'd never walk around on a Sunfish either. IOW, I don't think it can take much of a beating, without getting cuts and gashes in it....like having a boom lay on it and the mainsheet blocks scraping across it... stuff like that. If you're sliding around too much, you might consider strips of antiskid, but not sure what they'd do, if and when you peel them off. Lastly, I don't seem to see many ...or any? that actually do something like this as it hasn't seemed to be an issue. 6mm...that's close to a 1/4 inch, so realize you might catch the edges too. Most of the installs I've seen, edge protection hasn't been an issue. Like I said, looks great on the transom of a 40ft SeaRay, but all aboard are running around barefoot, I can bet ya.
Oh....one other thing, I imagine sitting on it a lot is going to eventually dis-color it to some extent. It's not as easy a surface to clean as gelcoat. I'm sure the manufacturer will scoff at everything I've said, but I've seen it a lot, usually put on boats where the owner has more money than experience and is "high" on making it look good. I don't see for the most part, the captain who has had his boat for 10 years, and finally deciding to put something like this down, to always be walking on it.
As a thought...if you're good with gelcoat or paint...put some anti-skid stuff in the paint and apply. If you don't like it, you can always sand it down and repaint or gelcoat.

As mentioned, I've yet to see a Sunfish with stuff on it to prevent folks from sliding around. Seems hiking straps, leg muscles and general fitness can and should overcome that. I just usually see kids falling over backwards, loosing their balance. Thx

I've seen their teak and holly stuff on power boats a lot and it looks great. However it is fragile to some extent. I has a softness to it, that you definitely don't wear hard sole street shoes on it, but you'd never walk around on a Sunfish either. IOW, I don't think it can take much of a beating, without getting cuts and gashes in it....like having a boom lay on it and the mainsheet blocks scraping across it... stuff like that. If you're sliding around too much, you might consider strips of antiskid, but not sure what they'd do, if and when you peel them off. Lastly, I don't seem to see many ...or any? that actually do something like this as it hasn't seemed to be an issue. 6mm...that's close to a 1/4 inch, so realize you might catch the edges too. Most of the installs I've seen, edge protection hasn't been an issue. Like I said, looks great on the transom of a 40ft SeaRay, but all aboard are running around barefoot, I can bet ya.
Oh....one other thing, I imagine sitting on it a lot is going to eventually dis-color it to some extent. It's not as easy a surface to clean as gelcoat. I'm sure the manufacturer will scoff at everything I've said, but I've seen it a lot, usually put on boats where the owner has more money than experience and is "high" on making it look good. I don't see for the most part, the captain who has had his boat for 10 years, and finally deciding to put something like this down, to always be walking on it.
As a thought...if you're good with gelcoat or paint...put some anti-skid stuff in the paint and apply. If you don't like it, you can always sand it down and repaint or gelcoat.
It had grip tape on it many years ago, but not any longer. While I am looking forward to sailing it, chances are I will be sailing it 4 or 5 times a summer, so it isn’t going to get a lot of wear. I have SeaDek on the lid of a Yeti cooler and it has held up well. I highly doubt it will discolor over time as it is designed to be in the sun and the Sunfish will be protected when not in use. You’re correct, I will have to be careful about the boom and blocks.

Seems like a pair of cut-off Levi's would work better. Even keep the deck cleaner. ;)

If you are really concerned about not being able to stay put, do what I do - I’m old and barely able to stay onboard myself, so I’ve installed both port and starboard seatbelts I salvaged out of my LeBaron convertible.

Reactions: tag
If you are really concerned about not being able to stay put, do what I do - I’m old and barely able to stay onboard myself, so I’ve installed both port and starboard seatbelts I salvaged out of my LeBaron convertible.
I don’t think I need to go quite that far...yet!:) I think the SeaDek will look pretty cool in addition to adding some traction. I’ll post picks once I get it installed.

Newer Sunfish have texture in the area outlined by River Time. Not sure when that started, but it's on my 2005 hull.
Obviously they added it for a reason. Restoring this boat is as much just a fun project as it is just to have a boat to go sailing every now and again. I thought the SeaDek might be a cool upgrade.

This boat we restored had some SeaDekish looking pad, thinner than SeaDek. It was a 1992 Pearson boat so maybe they were covering up some deck cracking :) Skipper liked the pad, added a little cushion. I don't think you need to put it all the way around, if you are sitting aft you will probably still have half a cheek on the pad.
YEARS ago some shorts were sold with leather on the butt, they were called Scuttlebutts. We plan to bring them back. Everyone saw it here first, don't steal our idea :)

Clark and Skipper

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

FMI: HOOPS and YOYO

In the unlikely event of a capsize :rolleyes: is it easier or more difficult to get back aboard with SeaDek?

Back