Sea Board

Bamafish

Splashin' 'round
I was watching a show called "Ship Shape TV" and saw a product called "Sea Board" and was wondering if anyone had ever heard of this product ,and if this would make a good lightweight backing material for mounting deck hardware instead of using wood, this stuff would not absorb water. Something to think about.

I have never seen "sea board" but I have replaced wood backing on several boats using the remnants of one of those inexpensive white plastic cutting boards (for the kitchen). It cuts well with a regular handsaw and does not compress or absorb water. I use 5200 to hold it in place and have never had any trouble with it. I know that doesn't answer your question regarding sea board but it is another alternative and available locally for everyone.

Bama,

Are you talking about "Starboard" by chance? After looking at the "Starboard" website, it appears that Starboard is a surface material that needs some support and is not structural in nature. Starboard appears in many ways to be similar to Corian or other solid surface synthetic materials. Many solid surface materials will crack if not supported properly. A single (or close double like screws/bolts for a cleat) point of pressure will likely break or crack the material. BBryants suggestion of the cutting board type material (with a little flex to it) would be a much better choice IMHO. I would through bolt it with fender washers to spread the preasure over the widest possible area. Good luck if you decide to try it.

Thanks for the tip. The product I saw is "Sea Board". You can "Google" it to see what I am talking about, in fact it is used as cutting boards also. Sounds like it is the way to go.

Thanks,
Marty

www.jfreeman.com will give info on Sea Board, but I like the cutting board material better, now that I have researched it. Oh and I think I was wrong about this stuff being used as cutting boards.

Back