Scorpion Sunfish?

agrayzel

Can anyone tell me about Sunfish manufactured by Scorpion? I have the opportunity to own one and it looks great, but just wondering what real world experience is with these boats. I don't know how old this is but it is red/white and has red/white sail. Rudder assembly has a cool looking spring release if you bottom out. Some cracking that looks superficial. Also wondering if dagger board and or rudder could be used on alcort sunfish models?
Thanks!

Saying "Scorpion Sunfish" sounds like saying "Yugo Honda"

I've seen these Sunfish copies at the beach. Don't know if they are still made. They look close enough that the Sunfish parts might work on them. If not you may have to fabricate any repair parts that aren't regular boat fittings.

Don't know about quality either. I'd be careful. Sunfish have had their problems over the last 50+ years, but their quality was/is still far superior to the majority of the knock-offs.

Caveat Emptor :confused:

Re: Yugo Honda

The Scorpion was made as copy of the 'Fish in the 70's. It was an OK boat but not of the same quality. The rudder looks cool, but if you drop it in the water, it sinks like a stone! Also, if I remember correctly, the cockpit was a bit smaller. The main problem now is that there is no source for parts if you need them. The Sunfish parts are close, but why not go with the real thing? I'm sure you could find a Sunfish at about the same price and parts would then be no problem.

Good luck in your hunt...

Rich
On the beach, overlooking Lake Michigan!

Back