Scorpion Rudder

lemon

Hello, I am hoping you good folk can help me find a tiller for a 70's "Scorpion" Sunfish clone. Some pictures are attached. Has anyone seen this sort of mounting hardware before and know where I might be able to find a matching tiller or hardware?

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• DSC_3309 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_3309 - Copy.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
  • DSC_3308 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_3308 - Copy.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • DSC_1803 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_1803 - Copy.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
You are looking for the entire rudder assembly? What's there looks close to a late Sunfish rig--a good start.

You may need a file...;)

Sounds like the poster is looking for a rudder/tiller. You have two choices:
1. Put a ‘wanted ‘ ad on craigslist. There aren’t a lot of Scorpions out there, so finding just the rudder/tiller might not be easy, but you never know.
2. Save ‘rudder’ as a craigslist search, so you’re notified by email whenever something new is posted. You could be more specific with ‘Scorpion rudder’ as your search, but some peeps have rudders but don’t know what boat they fit.
3. Cut an inspection port in the stern and switch the gudgeon to a Sunfish mount. Plenty of instruction on that process on this forum. Finding a Sunfish rudder is much easier, though they sell used for $200 or so.
Here’s what the Scorpion rudder looks like:
6EDF2221-E20A-40D0-BA42-BD2B2CC54159.jpeg

You are looking for the entire rudder assembly? What's there looks close to a late Sunfish rig--a good start.

Whole assembly, but I have a Sunfish rudder I would be willing to modify to work with the correct matching hardware.

You may need a file...;)

Let's not put the cart ahead of the horse here!

Sounds like the poster is looking for a rudder/tiller. You have two choices:
1. Put a ‘wanted ‘ ad on craigslist. There aren’t a lot of Scorpions out there, so finding just the rudder/tiller might not be easy, but you never know.
2. Save ‘rudder’ as a craigslist search, so you’re notified by email whenever something new is posted. You could be more specific with ‘Scorpion rudder’ as your search, but some peeps have rudders but don’t know what boat they fit.
3. Cut an inspection port in the stern and switch the gudgeon to a Sunfish mount. Plenty of instruction on that process on this forum. Finding a Sunfish rudder is much easier, though they sell used for $200 or so.
Here’s what the Scorpion rudder looks like:

Thanks for the tips! I've put an ad on Craigslist as you suggested and hoping for something to turn up. I'll probably end up just popping CL open every so often and searching rather than setting up an auto notification, especially for such a broad term.

The inspection port is putting the cart ahead of the horse that already has a cart in tow. Last resort and I can't help but feel like there has to be a better way.

The ‘better way’ is to find a Scorpion rudder. I’ve never seen a Scorpion gudgeon modified to fit a Sunfish rudder and I don’t think it will fit, even if you somehow opened the holes where the pintle goes.
I also don’t think you can modify the Sunfish rudder to fit the Scorpion gudgeon!
The Sunfish gudgeon looks like this:
(pic below)
If you’re not in a hurry to sail keep looking for the right rudder. If you want to sail this weekend order a new gudgeon and put in a port. It’s not hard to do, and you’ve already got the Sunfish rudder (new style, right?). There’s a ton of info here, plus videos of the process.
The port plus gudgeon will cost you about $30. You’ll need a backing plate, too- order one or make your own- (or the Scorpion may have one already).
But again, the ‘better way’ is to find the right rudder. Modifying MAY cause some weather helm. I changed out a Phantom and didn’t notice any, but the Scorpion is a little bigger.

Attachments

• F6FB7CAB-CA45-4149-8DBC-B73C92F7A515.jpeg
    F6FB7CAB-CA45-4149-8DBC-B73C92F7A515.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
'Looks like the gudgeon will unbolt from the outside. Determine if all the bolts can be loosened, unbolt all but one. Consider these two alternatives—which may eliminate the need an inspection port: :)

1) Buy a new Sunfish gudgeon—about $12—and drill new holes to fit the (replaced) Scorpion gudgeon. Drill—so that one (or more) of the holes will be aligned. The new holes may need to be larger, but the Sunfish gudgeon is sturdier than it looks.

2) Or, as the previous owner of my Porpoise did—bolt the Sunfish gudgeon to a block of wood, and fit the block to fit the existing Porpoise gudgeon. Whatever "weather helm" the Scorpion had, will be slightly increased, but it's not a deal-breaker.

If you're not handy with tools, the above changes are easy modifications that a neighbor could do. :cool:

Whole assembly, but I have a Sunfish rudder I would be willing to modify to work with the correct matching hardware.

Let's not put the cart ahead of the horse here!

Thanks for the tips! I've put an ad on Craigslist as you suggested and hoping for something to turn up. I'll probably end up just popping CL open every so often and searching rather than setting up an auto notification, especially for such a broad term.

The inspection port is putting the cart ahead of the horse that already has a cart in tow. Last resort and I can't help but feel like there has to be a better way.
Are you still lookimg for an original Scorpion rudder.tiller/tiller extension. I have one for sale. See: Scorpion (Sunfish clone) Mahogany Daggerboard and Rudder/Tiller Assembly For Sale

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back