Scorpion Mast "similiar to sunfish" question

pbr3232

I bought a Scorpion sailboat which is similiar to a Sunfish and I don't have a forum to post in other than here. I was wondering if I could post also. The boat I bought came with the mast bent or angled back. Supposedly that is the way they are made. The trouble is the head clearance when the boom swings plus it almost drags in the water. Anyone ever heard of such a thing or could I put a Sunfish mast in its place or try bending mine. Maybe thats the way it is. I tried to upload some attachments. Any help much appreciated.

Thank You

Peter

Attachments

• photo one.jpg
    photo one.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 66
  • photo two.jpg
    photo two.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 74
  • photo three.jpg
    photo three.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 70
I don't know much about the Scorpion boats, but I think you just got yourself a plain old bent mast. None of the other pictures I can find online show a boat with an intentional bend in the mast.

Like I said I am no expert on those boats. But here are some listed on the Sailing Texas site with pictures. And another.

That being said, You would have to find the original specs for the mast to see if you can use a sunfish mast or not. But my guess is that you could as long as the diameter is the same.

I bought a Scorpion sailboat which is similar to a Sunfish and I don't have a forum to post in other than here.
You might want to add yourself here too.

Scorpion Sailboats @ Yahoo!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scorpionsailboats

The boat I bought came with the mast bent or angled back. Supposedly that is the way they are made.
Oops… nope…, it’s bent.

. . . could I put a Sunfish mast in its place or try bending mine.
I don’t see why you couldn’t try and straighten it. If that doesn’t work, shop around for a used Sunfish mast.

Bending tubing can be tricky. If you haven’t done this before, see if there’s a muffler shop in your vicinity who will do it for a few bucks.

You have a bent mast and it will affect performance and probably continue to bend or even break when you least want it to. You can try to straighten it, but it may well re-bend at the same point in the future.

Post the specs (length, diamater) and somebody here (Wayne?) can tell you if a Sunfish mast is interchangeable.

Alan Glos

My measurements for the existing mast are 2 1/4" od x 10'. Think a sunfish is the same. Anyone know the measurements.

Thanks

Peter

Nice looking boat. I love the color scheme. Very cool.

I agree with the others. It is a bent mast. It will probably work. use it until you find another one.

Back