scale drawing

Does anyone have or know where to get a scaled drawing of a sunfish both in plan and elevation? Even better, digital copy?

I know that the "parts locator" drawings are on the web, but are they really to scale or are they diagrammatical only.

Tim

The brochure from the early/mid 70's provides this information. Mine are at my summer home and are not readily available.

Tim,
Just curious, are you planing on building a model. I have thought about making a radio controlled model in either 1/4 (42" hull) or 1/3 (56" hull) scale, but have a bunch more to work out (R/C gear placement, sailing (weighted) vs display dagger board, deck crown, etc.). The Laser has been done (http://www.sailingtexas.com/crclaser.html) has its own class in the AMYA. A 42" hull SF would be the same size as the Laser. If you build a Sunfish, keep me in mind. Good luck.

I was thinking about using the information to develop a 3D rendering in CAD or perhaps to build a balsa model. Something to keep busy during the winter. Looks like I may just measure off my boat. I have one of the RC lasers already.

Tim,
You and I are thinking along the similar lines. I was going to carve a hull from styrofoam (3.5"t x 12"w x 42"l) and fiberglass it (old style hull with aluminum edge). Put the R/C stuff in the cockpit with a cover. I believe when the designers changed to the rolled edge they added more crown to the deck. How much this would show in a model is negligible, you don't really notice it in the full size even when parked side by side. The dagger board would be the only problem (2.3" wide x .2" at 1/4 scale), maybe carbon fiber (for strength) in the weighted version and mahogany for the display. The model makers "fudge factor" could make things a little larger to work better. I have a bunch of projects ahead of this one to finish first. It will be an interesting project.

Tim, John, Brad,

Any luck obtaining a lines drawing (sections) of a sunfish hull? I too am interested in developing a 3D model in AutoCad, to enable doing hydrostatic and stability calculations.

At the risk of class heresy, has anyone heard of equipping a sunfish with removable outriggers, something like a micro-trimaran?

Tom

Tom,
Sorry, I haven't been able to work on the boats or the models (of any kind) lately. Been busy working two jobs recently, so time has been limited. If anyone gets the cross sections and/or elevations or plans, I would be interested in copies of the same.

Tom White said:
Tim, John, Brad,

At the risk of class heresy, has anyone heard of equipping a sunfish with removable outriggers, something like a micro-trimaran?

Tom

Sure, seen lot's of attempts over the years. Most failed because the outrigger caused a ton of weather helm if the boat heeled at all and only one was in the water and was dead slow due to drag if both were in the water.
As for drag just ask anyone who had a small piece of seaweed stuck on the centerboard or rudder how many boats they passed. LOL

Back