San Francisco roll - what is that?

hi there, right i'm going to try and explain the San Francisco roll.

firstly- you know when your sailing along and the boat starts to come over on top of you, you jump up over the gunual and on to the daggerboard just as the boat capsizes, or generally if its capsized to windward and youve swam round to the board, now its going thru you mind that a windward capsize aint gr8 and when you pull the boat up the sails going to fill with wind flip over and capsize on top of you before you manage to get into the cotpit, so now you have to waste time climbing up the boat or swimming around the back, whilst your spl;ashing about in the water the thought crosses your mind 'What if there was a better way?'

well thats where the San Francisco roll comes into play. right so go back to the moment that the boat capsizes to windward. what you want to do is forget all about trying to get back in the cotpit its just gonna waste time , so your on the board pulling the boat up, stay on on DON'T let go! if you stay on the board as the boat filps over the other way you will go under the water and come up the other side. ready to right the boat and jump in its much quicker.

And if its really windy it creates drag so stops your boat drifting further dowwn the course.

sorry for it been so long winded but there it is anyway the San Francisco roll

Hopefully, I can add a bit here.

Instead of being "on" the board trying it right it, you're under the board, pulling the board down onto you. As the boat rights/flips, the board then slams you in the chest and drives you under. If you hold on, you will pop up the other side ON TOP of the board.

Disclaimer: Kids, don't try this at home!

Al Russell 182797

vtgent49 said:
Hopefully, I can add a bit here.

Instead of being "on" the board trying it right it, you're under the board, pulling the board down onto you. As the boat rights/flips, the board then slams you in the chest and drives you under. If you hold on, you will pop up the other side ON TOP of the board.

Disclaimer: Kids, don't try this at home!

Al Russell 182797

yeah thats right, its been a while since i did it, where i mainly sail its on;y around 4ft deep

144679 said:
... just as the boat capsizes, or generally if its capsized to windward ...

+

vtgent49 said:
... Instead of being "on" the board trying it right it, you're under the board, pulling the board down onto you. As the boat rights/flips, the board then slams you in the chest and drives you under. If you hold on, you will pop up the other side ON TOP of the board. ...

Thanks Jon, thanks Al.
Now, with your explanations, the text of Mr. Cockerill is better to understand for a not native english speaking Laserite. The part in the text, where Steve speaks about that sort of roll, the boat is capzised to windward.

I guess, I never serious want to try this sort of trick, because it seems really a sort of to dangerous for a LooserLu. But it also seems, this trick is really cool. :)

Ciao
LooserLu

Back