Saltwater Sunfish

aaron

I've heard some of you talking about saltwater sunfish. Now the question I have is that a saltwater grade of parts put on them or is it a whole other variaty? If that is a grade of parts that where can I get them?

One design is one design, simple as that. The hardware is the same. What H20 you are sailing in is the only difference. After sailing in saltwater there is a recommended "fresh water" rinse of your spars, sail, and hardware to prevent the corrosion brought on by saltwater. I have not sailed in saltwater, but have replaced some used hardware from on former saltwater boat and saltwater is not kind. Rinse, Repeat ;-)

Thanks, that will save me a buck later. I plan to sail in Maine when we go on vacation.

Except for my last, unfortunate, trip to a lake, I do all my sailing in saltwater and left untended is harsh on the boat. To repeat Repete's sound advice - rinse your gear afterwards with fresh water! And I mean rinse everything, including the aforementioned items as well as the lines, centerboard, rudder & tiller, hiking strap, hull, trailer, dolly, life preservers, gloves, self, etc.

One design is one design, simple as that. The hardware is the same. What H20 you are sailing in is the only difference. After sailing in saltwater there is a recommended "fresh water" rinse of your spars, sail, and hardware to prevent the corrosion brought on by saltwater. I have not sailed in saltwater, but have replaced some used hardware from on former saltwater boat and saltwater is not kind. Rinse, Repeat ;-)

My two Sunfish were purchased from saltwater locations: corrosion was a serious factor in the spars, lower mast, and "disintegrating" bow handles. (Bow handles probably made of zinc or "Zamak" alloy). Maybe Alan Glos can advise, as my Porpoise II uses much Sunfish hardware. (Maybe take a grinder to the underside). The Porpoise II bow handle is bolted on, with no underside access. :confused:

Based on the peculiar corrosion pattern seen in this Porpoise II photo, I suspect that early 1970s Sunfish could've had chrome-plated bronze bow handles:

Attachments

• GEDC0125.JPG
    GEDC0125.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 34
my 74 SF came from saltwater. Recently the corroded bow handle snapped while pulling the boat up an incline. The knock-off replacement from Intensity is solid stainless

Are there any other ploblems with using it in saltwater. If so let me know. Also is there a dependable place I can get a dagger board for apre 71 SF.

my 74 SF came from saltwater. Recently the corroded bow handle snapped while pulling the boat up an incline. The knock-off replacement from Intensity is solid stainless
My new bow handle also looks like solid stainless. I'll have to remove it and put a grinder to the bottom. If tiny sparks appear, then it would be constructed of stainless steel—otherwise, it would be zinc/Zamak alloy, and eventually disintegrate in salty environments. :(

Except for my last, unfortunate, trip to a lake, I do all my sailing in saltwater and left untended is harsh on the boat. To repeat Repete's sound advice - rinse your gear afterwards with fresh water! And I mean rinse everything, including the aforementioned items as well as the lines, centerboard, rudder & tiller, hiking strap, hull, trailer, dolly, life preservers, gloves, self, etc.

........ and to add to Kevin's words of advice....... rinse the skipper (s) too...... :rolleyes:

My new bow handle also looks like solid stainless. I'll have to remove it and put a grinder to the bottom. If tiny sparks appear, then it would be constructed of stainless steel—otherwise, it would be zinc/Zamak alloy, and eventually disintegrate in salty environments. :(

Well, now I can't be certain of what I've bought: it must be Zinc or Zamak alloy. It's a heavy and shiny, brand-new, "Laser-Performance" model, and a grinder produces no sparks!

http://www.scrapmetaljunkie.com/241/the-spark-test-and-spark-testing-metals-2

Back