Sailor Body Weight

Laxxxxxer

Hello,

I am desperately wanting to get into Laser racing, and am wondering what the min. body weight should be to be competitive in racing. Thanks a lot

The minimum body weight to start Laser racing is somewhere around...oh...80 pounds! That's with a 4.7 rig however. For full rig, You'd want to be around 150.

Ok, thanks for the reply...I guess I wouldn't be the perfect size for racing, as I am a male 22 yr old 125 lb sailor....ahhh

well 122 would be perfect for the Laser Radial rig...read more about the Lasers and Radials at www.teamvanguard.com But bassically the full rig has 72 square feet of sail and is made for sailors 150 lbs and above. The Laser Radial has 62 square feet of sail and is made for sailors about 115 lbs. And finall the Laser 4.7 has even less (I don't know the exact number) sail area and is made for sailors from about 85 lbs to 110. All you need to change between the rigs is a different lower mast section and sail for each....real easy.

I bought a diod pumped laser at 532nm from a company. It is very weird that the output power of the laser drops down after working for a few hours so that I have to ask the company to change it. This is the third one. But the problem is the same. I do not understand why it is so. I operated the laser completely accroding to the operating manual. I do not know what the problem is and hope to get help from you.

Seagulllast

I'm a "grand master," 5'10, 140 pounds, good condition for my age. Sail the full rig locally, but get blasted if the wind approaches 20 mph. If I go to regional masters' competition, should I sail full rig or drop down to Radial? Is there much Radial competition for grand masters and great grand masters or is everyone else heavy so there aren't any Radials?

Seagulllast you have a link in the wrong place. This is obviously causing the problem. You should try your laser in an environment with a higher h2o content.

Sailed on the coast at 55Kg (too many years ago now). Had great light wind speed but at 16Kts would end up way down the fleet at the wheather mark (particularly in waves when the heavyweights were tourquing the boat thru the swells & mine was chopping wood). Mind you the places you could make up downhill were amazing.

Now (many years later returning to lasers and at 67Kg) I find that in flat water I don't have to work nearly as hard and the downhill ride is still OK - but somehow now I am more prone to the deathroll (probably reaction time) which I never had problems with years ago. In swell on the coast the added weight is also much easier upwind and does not seem to be a great disadvantage (so far) downhill. Still not as fast as I remeber at the 55 mark, but nothing is forever.

Cheers,

GL

Back