Sailmaker?

Hi all. 2022 was a great year for sailing in Centerport, NY. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a sailmaker?

As you can see my sail is nicely colored and would like to get a second sail if pricing is feasible. I'm looking for a new color scheme perhaps. Can anyone tell me if the sail in my photo is a stock sail? Or a custom sail? Any guesses on what such a sail should cost? My boat is from 1984.

Thank you for any suggestions here.
JB

Attachments

• 20221015_143230.jpg
    20221015_143230.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 101
Yes, your sail was a standard, class legal sail when the boat was bought new back in the 80's. It is a colour scheme known as Mardi Gras.

Unfortunately, there haven't been any new class legal coloured sails since the 90s

If you are just looking for a different colour scheme and not worried about the quality of the sail (they are all going to be at least 30 or more years old), then keep an eye on Ebay or Craigslist or similar. They do come up occasionally for sail, but not often these days.

This one came up for sale recently, but it was the first I have seen for a while:

Otherwise, if you are looking for a new but not class legal sail, then a local sailmaker may be able to make one up for you, if they have a pattern or can take one off your sail and have coloured sailcloth available!

I did find these available from Europe - they have two styles available, one of which is the same as your current one,but they may make up a different pattern if you ask them. I don't know what the postage and import charges would be to USA though

And finally, here are some old brochures and other photos with class legal coloured sails to give you ideas:

Attachments

• Sunrise Brochure.jpg
    Sunrise Brochure.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 14133_01.jpg
    14133_01.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Super Lasers Brochure .jpg
    Super Lasers Brochure .jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 79WorldsBP.jpg
    79WorldsBP.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 80Worlds.jpg
    80Worlds.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 72
  • 83Worlds.jpg
    83Worlds.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Laser100000 .jpg
    Laser100000 .jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 79
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 100
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 97
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 98
A Laser 2 mainsail has a bolt rope on the luff and is raised by a halyard whilst the Laser sail just has pocket luff sleeve and is slid over the mast.

A Laser 2 main is also larger in every direction than a Laser Standard/ILCA 7 sail.

As a rule of thumb, if one thinks that given Laser/ILCA and Laser 2 parts might be interchangeable, it's safe to assume they're not.

_

iSails.com makes (non-class legal) colored sails for the Laser standard / Ilca 7 and 4.7. They indicated that they might be making sails for the radial this year.

Hi all. 2022 was a great year for sailing in Centerport, NY. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a sailmaker?

As you can see my sail is nicely colored and would like to get a second sail if pricing is feasible. I'm looking for a new color scheme perhaps. Can anyone tell me if the sail in my photo is a stock sail? Or a custom sail? Any guesses on what such a sail should cost? My boat is from 1984.

Thank you for any suggestions here.
JB

If you like white. In Norwich, NY.

Back