sailing video with 2 of my sons

tag

my2fish
I had a great light wind day of sailing on Lake Michigan last week - and was able to give my 2 youngest sons a ride in Dad's Sunfish (their 1st ride - on water, anyway).

I start out with just my 5-yr old in the boat, but my 2-yr old was riding nearby in a kayak with Mom, and he joined me in the Sunfish a little ways in. my 9-yr old son was also paddling around in a kayak - the whole family was out on the water! waves were very small with gentle rolls, wind was light from the west, but we could get moving north and south along the beach pretty well. I kept the daggerboard up a little bit, as we stayed towards the shallow areas.

I ended up giving rides to several other children (my cousin's kids), along with my aunt, my sister and my father (not all at once) - 1st time rides for all of them except my aunt had sailed many years ago. it was a great time.

cheers,
tag

Tag,

Awesome video! That is great that you are able to make the water activities a family event. I am looking forward to the day I have the confidence to take my 2 kids out on the sunfish. (one at a time!):D Is Lake Michigan your normal sailing area or were you all on vacation? I would love to try Lake Erie, but for now I am stuck on a mud puddle in central Ohio.

Question about your gear. What kind of video camera do you have, and how did you mount it?

Thanks for sharing.
Edward

Edward,
On the water as a family like that has never happened (yet), so I was pretty happy with it, too! It was the 1st time my 9-yr old had solo kayaked and he did awesome, so I was pretty happy with that. And normally, I wouldn't try to sail with my 2 younger boys, but the lake was really calm, the winds light, and we stayed along the shoreline where it was shallow, so I felt comfortable giving it a try.

I don't really have a "normal" sailing area, just wherever and whenever I can. I don't get to go as much as I'd like, but hope that improves every year the boys get older. I'm in metro Detroit, so usually sail on some smaller lakes around there.

last week, we were vacationing in northern Michigan, so I sailed 2 days on the east bay in Traverse City, once on Crystal Lake (awesome lake) near Beulah, and then the 1 day on Lake Michigan near Arcadia. I've sailed off the beach in Arcadia a handful of times now - usually it's much bigger waves, so I wouldn't try to take the small boys.

I haven't sailed Lake Erie, but because it is shallow, I have heard that the waves can change from small to quite large really quickly - I would give it a try, but probably keep a keen eye on the weather, and don't wander too far from shore, but that's just me.

for the camera - my wife bought me a GoPro HD Surf Hero. it is pretty awesome. I tested a few different angles to shoot from, and decided I liked the rudder mount best, so built a little bracket that attaches back by my rudder. I attached a picture.

cheers,
tag

Attachments

• gopro mount Img0181_002.jpg
    gopro mount Img0181_002.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for sharing, Tag. Refreshing and fun to watch.
Very handsome family! Those little ones are precious.

Tag,
Excellent mounting system you developed for your video camera. You have given me some great ideas as I am in the process of shopping around for a video camera myself.

Thanks,
Edward

Back