Sailing the Capri with the hatch open?

Martin Zacherl

Hello,

I just have my Capri for two weeks now and almost capsized it once. I never sailed a boat which had a hatch like the Capri before.

So, I'm not sure if you can / should sail it with the hatch open and what the effects would be if it capsizes.

Will it still float? Are there flotation devices integrated in the hull?

What is the drain plug for at the transom?
I thought at first that it is to get the water out of the "forecastle", but that seems not to be the case.

Please excuse my unprofessional use of your language. English is not my first tongue and I just started to built up my sailing vocabulary.

Martin

Do not sail th C14.2 mod 1 with an open hatch. If you capsize the forepeek might fill with water , the boat will float as it has positive floatation under the seats. It would be much harder to rescue the boat with all that water under the decks. The drain plug at the back of the boat is for drainig the boat incase you would get water under the decks in the bilge. When the boat is not in use leave the stern plug out so the hull can "breath" so to speak.

I would just use common sense. If the wind is light, I don't see a problem with leaving the hatch open, but if things are dicey then lock that sucker down.

Back