Sailing Temperature

vinny0

Hey Guys,
I was wondering at what water temperature I should start sailing. I would be sailing lasers and 420s. Heres what I have to keep me warm.
Feet: 1.5mm neoprene socks, dinghy boots
Pants: 1.5mm long pants
top: Under Armor, and a spray top
What water temperatures would you sail in, with only these things.

Thanks, and sorry if repost

Winthrop Frostbite Sailing Club in Boston Harbor races Interclubs and Lasers all winter.

We use the 20-20 rule — we sail unless the wind exceeds 20 knots or the temperature drops below 20°F. Surface water temperature is 40°F today.

All participants wear drysuits.

We use the 120 rule of adding the temp of the water and the temp of the air. If the sum is <120 then you have to wear a drysuit or wetsuit

Thats not alot of warm kit. I sail all winter and would need alot more than that to keep warm, I sail RS Feva and 29er so both also dinghys that will be getting spray on me. I would say you could sail in light winds but wait for defo over 10 degrees C cause if u get rly wet I think you will gert cool pretty fast. Might be worth getting hot top and legs and a aqua fleece instead of spray top

That isn't much clothing, you could sail in some reasonably cold conditions if you also wore a couple of woolen jearseys and a wooley hat. I wouldn't want to sail in under about 18 degrees c just wearing that. It depends on how long you r going out for though of course.

Back