Sailing Simulation Advice Needed

I am looking for any advice concerning sailing simulators. I tried one out today, Sail Simulator for the PC. It seemed pretty cool. However the demo only seemed to last about 20 minutes. What are your favorites? Which one simulates a Sunfish the best? I noticed that some allow for on-line sailing races. Has anyone tried this yet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My family is just learning to sail. I would rather be on the water but that is not always convienient. Maybe this will bring us up the learning curve.

We have a decent PC and a Gamecube/WII.

BrainCorrel

I really like virtual skipper 4. There is a virtual skipper 5 but I havent played anything other then the demo which is the Americas cup version

I have been tinkering with Virtual Skipper 4 as well. Practicing great starts is as challenging as the races themselves. Most boats are Melges, but timing and using of the spinaker sail adds a factor above sailing a Sunfish. I would like to know if there is a program more like a Sunfish or Laser based boat.

I have now looked at both the demo's for Sail Simulator and Virtual Skipper 32nd America's cup. So far I like the Sail simulator better because the waves seem more realistic, the crew position is adjustable and the rudder is visable and is most like the sunfish. For example you move it left and the boat goes right.

However, the Virtual Skipper has a very clear wind indicator and optimum angle indicator which is nice. It turns green when you have found the optimum angle. The demo's were more complete including a couple races and training situations. Maybe the full versions are more adjustable. Let me know.

Repete Here are a couple simulators I found for lasers. Maybe someone else can comment if they have tried them.

The Sail simulator does have a laser.

http://www.saversoftware.co.uk/details-3997.htm

http://www.lasersailingdirect.com/laser.php?p=laserSimulators

One company in austrailia actually sells a boat tied to a program and actuators. I would love to see this at an arcade or marine store locally.

http://virtualsailing.com.au/history.htm

VSK4 or VSK 5 are amazing. I'd go with VSK5 since it is the newer game. VSK4 would have 400+ players on at one time but has recently diminished due to VSK5. The cool thing here is there are sites and experts that create more boats than what the game provides. Everything from Windsurfers to Dragons. It's a great tool for learning and a blast to play people from all over the world. Definately worth the $50 or so.

Hello all, a new old Sunfish owner,

Another vote for Virtual Skipper, I looked for a while and this one was the best.

Just Looking around.....here are the boats of Sail Simulator 4.2.

http://www.sailsimulator.com/

I think Sail Simulator 4.2 is a different platform than the Sail Simulator in the previous post.

Their site has screen shots and a downloadable demo.

BC, thank you for the links.

Attachments

• Boats of SAIL SIMULATOR 4.2.pdf
    82.9 KB · Views: 53
I think the money would be better spent towards a dry / wet suit. Nothing beats time in the boat (a real one). If the water isn't hard go sailing.
John
See you at the Na's in 08

You mean these. And 12 could be If the water is hard go iceboating.
The Beer Can Ten Commandments

1) Thou shalt not take anything other than safety too seriously, If you can only remember one commandment, this is the one. Relax, have fun, and keep it light. Late to the start? So what. Over early? Big deal. No instructions? Improvise. Too windy? Quit. Not enough wind? Break out the beer. The point is to have fun, but stay safe. Like the ad says, "Safe boating is no accident."

2) Thou shalt honor the racing rules if thou knowest them. Racing Rules, unless specifically stated elsewhere in the Sailing Instructions, is the current rules bible. Few sailors we know have actually studied it cover to cover: it's about as interesting as reading tax code or the phone book. For beer can racing, just remember some of the biggies (port tack boats shall avoid starboard ones; windward boats shall avoid leeward ones; and outside boats shall give room at the mark). Stay out of the way of bigger boats, pay your insurance premiums and keep a low profile unless you're sure you know what you're doing. Like most things, it boils down to common sense.

3) Thou shalt not run out of beer. Beer (a.k.a., brewskis, chill pills, thought cylinders) is the beverage that lends its name to 'beer can' racing; obviously, you don't want to run out of the frothy nectar. Of course, you can drink whatever you want out there, but there's a reason these things aren't called milk bottle races, coca-cola can races, hot chocolate races or something else. Just why beer is so closely associated with this kind of racing escapes us at the moment, but it's a tradition we're happy to go along with.

4) Thou shalt not covet thy competitor's boat, sails, equipment, crew or PHRF rating. No excuses or whining; if you're lucky enough to have a sailboat, just go use it! You don't need the latest in zircon-encrusted widgetry or unobtanium sailcloth to have a great time out on the water with your friends. Even if your boat's a heaving pig, make modest goals and work toward improving on them from week to week. Or don't - it's only beer can racing.

5) Thou shalt not amp out. No screaming, swearing, or overly aggressive tactics. Save that stuff for the office or, if you must, for Saturday's 'real' race. If you lose it in a Friday nighter, you're going to run out of crew - not to mention friends - in a big hurry. Downing a quick chill pill on the way to the starting line has been medically proven to have a calming influence on the nerves.

6) Thou shalt not protest thy neighbor. This is extremely tacky at this level of competition and should be avoided at all costs. Perhaps it's justifiable if one's boat is damaged and blame needs to be established, but on the whole, tossing a red flag is the height of bad taste in something as relatively inconsequential as a beer canner. Besides proving that you're unclear on the concept of beer can racing, it screws up everybody's evening, including yours. Don't do it - it's bad karma.

7) Thou shalt not mess up thy boat. Everybody knows some hardcore weekend warrior who ripped his sails up in a Friday night race and had to sit out the champion-ship race on Saturday. The point is that it's not worth risking your boat and gear in such casual competition: like the song says, you got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em. Avoid other boats at all costs, not to mention buoys and other hard objects. If you have the luxury of two sets of sails, use the old ones.

8) Thou shalt always go to the yacht club afterwards. Part of the gestalt of beer can races is bellying up to the yacht club bar after the race. Etiquette demands that you congratulate the winners, as well as buy a round of drinks for your crew. Besides, the bar is a logical place to see old friends and make new ones. However, when meeting new sailors, avoid the gung-ho, overly serious types who rehash the evening in such gory detail that the post mortem (yawn) takes longer than the race. As much as we enjoy a quick romp around the cans, there's more to life.

9) Thou shalt bring thy spouse, kids, friends and whoever else wants to go. Twilight races are great forums for introducing new folks to sailing, such as your neighbors, out-of-town visitors, co-workers or maybe even the family dog. Always bring your significant other along, too - coed crews are happy crews. And don't just make the newcomers watch - give them a job on the boat. Get everyone involved.

10) Thou shalt not worry; thou shalt be happy. Leave the cellular phone in the car, bring the ghetto blaster. Lighten up, it's not the Big Boat Series. Have fun, and we'll see you out there!

I have heard several people say great things about Tacticat (www.tacticat.com). It does not compare graphically to the software you run your local PC. However, they have actual races where you compete against other people over the internet.

I checked out Taticat. The price is right. I guess the tradeoff between graphics for networking capability has paid off. It seems like a ton of people race each other on that site and have a good time. I am looking more of the feel of how to sail and less of racing tactics. Maybe someday after learning a little more of the basics that type of site will appeal to me.

Thank you for the input, I did not see that site in any of my googleing.

http://search.half.ebay.com/virtual-skipper_PC-Games_W0QQcatZ158996QQmZvideoQ2dgames

This is a link to Half.com. I have bought the sailing books found in the Sunfish Bible here, in good used condition, seperately here as well as my copy of Virtual Skipper 3.0 for like five bucks. There are currently three or four copies of Vitual Skipper 3.0 also on eBay through this site for a Buy it Now price under five bucks. It is a lot of fun, during the hard water months, and they make great stocking stuffers.

I want to give a WOOT! for tacticat (or as I've begun calling it "tacticrack") seems to be a great tactics simulator, which is exactly what I need. I see very little connection between the boats online and the boats in real life, in so far as they handle, but it automatically keeps track of all the rules and is a great way to learn all the tricky rules of right of way in racing.

"with my sumfish bible in one hand and my mouse in the other, I will go forth in off-season voctory!"

I see very little connection between the boats online and the boats in real life, in so far as they handle

Handling a boat is something a computer simulator cannot reproduce (today).

Tacticat boats are handled by automated sailors (world champions) and they handle perfectly your boat, and your opponents boats too!.
But this champion will strictly follow your orders: Tack now!, luff!, Gybe! ... when you ask the boat to tack the automated champion will perform a perfect tack. You win if you tack when you have to, that's all.

This approach has some advantages: users don't need to key in like mad to drive their boat and the keys are simple:
- Space bar = go to your best angle following telltales either closehauled or downwind
- Enter = tack or gybe (depending if you are over or under a beam reach)
- UP and Down arrows = luff a bit or bear away a bit, used to avoid other boats or to round the buoys
- SHIFT key = toggles between two sail states: perfectly trimmed whatever your course or completely eased off (used only to prevent the boat to start early and get OCS)

Tacticat is a free training tool for sailors, it is also a game and allows the on-line racing between sailors all over the world.
We do have fleet, team and match races. We do have mono-hull laser-like boats but also skiffs, catamarans and big-boats a la Americas Cup. Each boat type emphasizes diferent tactical aspects.

As per UK sailors request we've added in the last version currents, sometimes very strong. Sailors have to play with currents, shifts, puffs.... to find the best courses and to manage the sailing rules in order to win other sailors.

You are welcome to join us. You need an Internet connection and Java installed in your computer (go to Java web site to download and install the newest version if you don't have it already).

aestela
Tacticat Admin

:rolleyes:

Ok some effects cannot be simulated easily, like the wind and water spray in your face or the motion effects, but many effects can or could be simulated. Computers today can predict the amount of damage in an automoble crash. Simulators are used to teach jet pilots, and astronauts. Certainly a simulator can improve my sailing handleing skills. Also somehow a 10 year old kid figured out how to drive a bus in a high speed chase a few weeks back. Something tells me he had played Need for Speed.

I am fine with a company using Atari type graphics so they can host hundreds of users at a time. And that hosting many users at the same time limits the computers ability to produce realistic handleing.

Just don't claim it is not possible by computers. Computers have been running fairly realist flight simulations since Windows95. I thought the program demos of Sailing Simulator and Virtual Skipper both had a decent level of handleing simulation. Whatever these programs lack is not due to the computers, but is likely due to their lack of funding for the developers.

I am sure if a few developers teamed up with Disney they could incorporate wind, water, and motion all driven by today's computers and some hydraulics.

:rolleyes:

Ok some effects cannot be simulated easily, like the wind and water spray in your face or the motion effects, but many effects can or could be simulated. Computers today can predict the amount of damage in an automoble crash. Simulators are used to teach jet pilots, and astronauts. Certainly a simulator can improve my sailing handleing skills. Also somehow a 10 year old kid figured out how to drive a bus in a high speed chase a few weeks back. Something tells me he had played Need for Speed.

I am fine with a company using Atari type graphics so they can host hundreds of users at a time. And that hosting many users at the same time limits the computers ability to produce realistic handleing.

Just don't claim it is not possible by computers. Computers have been running fairly realist flight simulations since Windows95. I thought the program demos of Sailing Simulator and Virtual Skipper both had a decent level of handleing simulation. Whatever these programs lack is not due to the computers, but is likely due to their lack of funding for the developers.

I am sure if a few developers teamed up with Disney they could incorporate wind, water, and motion all driven by today's computers and some hydraulics.

Back