Sailing on a three-masted ship

Ed Jones

Secretary/Vice Commodore
I recently had a chance to sail on a 205 foot, 1200 ton, three-masted ship, the Star of India, and I thought some of you might want to know what it was like. The Star is home-ported here in San Diego, part of the Maritme Museum, where I volunteer as a docent. She was built in England in 1863, and is the oldest actively sailed ship in the world. She was built of wrought iron, then a radical new method, which explains her longevity. Whereas the thousands of wooden ships built in that era are history, the Star is still in magnificent condition.

We were tugged out of our berth and pulled straight upwind out the channel until we reached the open Pacific, past Point Loma. There the tug cast off and we made sail. The volunteer crew of 60, who train year-round, scrambled up the rigging, 20 to a mast, and set sail. Twenty sails! Standing on the deck, I looked up at the mainmast, where she carried the main course, lower and upper topsails, top gallant, royal, and two staysails. Seven sails on just one mast.

Once this cloud of sail was set, we reached back and forth in a light breeze, making around 5 knots. Needless to say, she can barely go to windward. Without cargo she makes a lot of leeway and tacks through 170 degrees. (About 140-150 degrees when loaded.) But her job was hauling colonists from England to New Zealand, and so she simply followed the trade winds eastbound through the Roaring 40s. After dropping off her passengers she took on cargo and continued east-bound around Cape Horn and back to England. All told, she made a total of 21 trips around the world.

Our voyage ended with a slow sail back downwind in a dying breeze. A nice ending to a lovely day of sailing.

If you're ever in San Diego, come on down to the waterfront where you can tour the Star of India dockside.

Ed,

Is this an annual or regularly scheduled event? I'd gladly make the trip from AZ to see it.

Rudy Pinon

Star of India

The best way to find out when the Star of India will sail is to call the San Diego Maritime Museum at 619-234-9153. She sails at least once a year, often more. Keep in mind there's no way to pay for a ride on her. It's invitees only, but there are a number of places along the bay front to get a good view. (e.g., Shelter Island)

But you can sail on another tall ship, a two-masted topsail schooner, the Californian. She sails most every weekend afternoon and anyone can go for $30 (a three hour sail.) I work on her regularly as a docent and it's a lot of fun. Call the same number for more info on the Californian. They can also send you a brochure on her.

Back