Sailing My 14.2... FAST!

c14_Kris

It was a windy day, about 20-25 kts, The waves on the bay were 2-4 ft. I had the urge to go sailing so I proceeded to cruse the marina looking for crew, this step proved to be difficult. Finally I rounded up two guys that were willing to go. I prepared my boat at its temporary slip and we all nervously climbed aboard. I raised the main and we blasted out of the marina downwind with little regard for the no wake sign. The wind hit us like a freight train as we rounded the stone pier of the marina, we were already in the thick of it. After we calmed down we popped open the jib and took of. I had to pay constant attention to the main sheet even with three people hiking out. I looked at the wake, a small rooster tail formed as we flew over waves and smashed through them. The cockpit was full of water from waves that my boat had smashed, we were soaked. Next thing I knew the boat took on a completely different feel, it became extremely stable, level and the tiller had next to no feedback, we were on full plane. We all yelled in excitement as the boat threw water 5-10 feet out to the side from amidship under my crew! Before I knew it we were on the other side of the bay so we tacked onto a more windward course, crushing waves and passing countless larger boats, the whole way.

The feeling of being on plane was incredible, I don't think I have ever been on a monohull going that fast. I did not have my GPS but I think my speed was aprox. 9-12 kts.

What I would like to hear is some stories of others who have experienced their capri on plane or similar stories. Who's got one?

Maybe done 7 or 8 knots in my Capri reaching in 15 knots of breeze on pretty flat water. Good for some fun and grins. In San Francisco Bay in a Lightning , 22-30 knots of wind under a kite, skipping along on with emotions ranging from fun to OHH CR&P!!! It was fast, fast, fast with the boat and crew sailing on the edge. Lots of carnage that day all around us but not for us. Crewed on a 505 in 17ish knots , planing up wind and down wind. Hair on fire fast for a mono hull. Nothing like being on the wire trimming the kite downwind on a plane and having to jibe.

In a distance race of about 60 miles on a J105 under aso for hours in 20-35 knots of wind, 6 foot swell with 3 foot of chop doing 14-16 knots with the high speed being nearly 18. Nearly surfed the boat nonstop for like 3 hours. I slept good that night.

Lots a good times. I love sailing!

Planing a Capri 14.2

We've done it several times. It's not hard if the conditions are right, i.e., 17 knots or more of breeze, and near a windward shore so the water is flat. Get on a broad reach and sit back about a foot from your usual forward positions. (This helps lift the bow somewhat.) Now ease the sheets and let 'er rip!

Back