Sailing Movies- whats good?

rock steady

Can anyone reccomend any good films featuring sailing?

The only one I know is "DEAD CALM" - aussie thriller starring Nicole Kidman and Sam Neil.

149216.jpg

rock steady said:
Can anyone reccomend any good films featuring sailing?

I just pulled "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" off the shelf to watch tonight. That's the best sailing movie that I know of, but of course it's not set in modern times. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a hoot. I had nightmares the first time that I saw it that my forearms were skeletonized! Now I just think it's funny. There's a couple more that are set in modern times, but I don't think they are that good. They are White Squall with Jeff Bridges, based on a true story of a youth training ship. Then there is Wind, with Matthew Modine and Jennifer Grey, about a fictional attempt at the Americas Cup, combined with a very 80s romance. White Squall is probably the better of the two.

I also have a documentary style video called "Hot Yachts, Cold Water" from the 70s that is really super. It has Laser sailing in SF Bay in it. Good luck on finding a copy.

I'd be interested to learn what else is out there too.

Merrily said:
Then there is Wind, with Matthew Modine and Jennifer Grey, about a fictional attempt at the Americas Cup, combined with a very 80s romance. .

Hey, we watched Wind instead the Russell Crowe fest. The sailing was good. Some of the story is good, but it's kind of cheesy--old school rich guy vs integrity and innovation. Anyway, the sailing is good.

Not a bad film is "Lost!". A Canadian film from 1986. About some folks sailing to Costa Rica. They hit a storm and flip over. Worth a look if you can find it.

Cheers
Mark

white squall...not that its particularly sailing oriented, but its on a ship and is nice and intense. definatly check it out if youve never seen it.

I have something totally different for you!

It is about Admiral Cheng Ho, the famous Chinese Eunuch Admiral-Explorer of the 15th Century. But his fleet was junk ships. Not too sure whether there is a movie on it... but there is documentary show on his voyage... about how he managed his fleet.... how his wooden junk boats were built to withstand the rough sea and how easy these junk sails can be reefed compared to our modern sails... etc.. Very magnificant discovery... A search of his name on the Internet should reveal more stuffs.

The way he managed his fleet or soldiers is even brought out for modern CEOs to learn from... Coolz! :)

I love Master and Commander (but then again, anything associated with Tall Ships and O'Brian has to be awesome).

My other faves are Awesome Aussie Skiffs 1 and 2. Anyone who hasn't seen them i suggest you check them out - there are some awesome spills! The first one is mostly about spectacular crashes and capsizes, and the second one is more about tactics and racing - with some spectacular capsizes thrown in of course! ;)

Tim - what about the part at the beginning of the first one where the skiff gets run down by the Sydney Harbour ferry :eek: That's pretty scary!

laser2_9804 said:
I love Master and Commander (but then again, anything associated with Tall Ships and O'Brian has to be awesome).

My other faves are Awesome Aussie Skiffs 1 and 2. Anyone who hasn't seen them i suggest you check them out - there are some awesome spills! The first one is mostly about spectacular crashes and capsizes, and the second one is more about tactics and racing - with some spectacular capsizes thrown in of course! ;)

Tim - what about the part at the beginning of the first one where the skiff gets run down by the Sydney Harbour ferry :eek: That's pretty scary!

Hahahaha yeah but it made for some awesome watching. It really sucks that it happened cuz I prolly woulda pissed myself if that was me, but dang it made for some good watching lol.

Tim

There's a 50s movie with Anthony Quinn called "The world in his arms" a must see if you want to see old sailing boats in very rough waters. There's a 2-3 min amaizing take that will blast you.

Back