Sailing in Tampa Area

Scott B

Does anyone know of any Laser sailing around Tampa, FL? What about Lake Tarpin (New Port Richey)?

I will be down there on business next week, and would like to explore the sailing venue(s). I am not bringing my boat next week, but I would like to on my next trip.

Thanks,

Scott;
There is a ton of sailing going on in and around the Tampa area. I'll bet if you looked around the District 13 Website area, you'd find points of contact, emial addresses, etc. There are several Yacht Clubs and Sailing Clubs in the area, and events held almost every weekend. You should not have a problem finding a venue.

Dave

There are tons of areas around tampa depending on how far away ou are willing to drive, there is the St. Petersburg Yacht Club, The Davis Island Yacht Club, Clearwater sailing center, and the Sarasota Sailing Squadron. The SSS is the farthest away, being about 50 minutes away, the other centers are significantly closer (Davis Island YC is actually in Tampa).

I sail out of Davis Island YC. There is a Wednesday night small boat series. Its run by the youth group and has about 10 boats (radials, 420's). I'm the only full rig, but the weight difference between me and the kids counteracts the sail differences, so its still good practice. Plus the races are short and they get a lot in.

Thursday is the big boat night (approx. 80 boats), so you may want to come then if you don't have a boat.

Back