Sailing in a breeze

Skipper Johnson

Hello there laser-liking type people. Long time no post. I have progressed from complete fool to vaguely competent over this year. I am now coming mid field and hardly ever crashing into the commodore.

My question. In around 20 knots, I really struggle to windward which I feel terrible about because Im over 6 ft and about 95 Kilos. Should be tailor made. Instead, I continually round up into the wind. I just want some reminders about what to do because tomorrow is forecast 20 knots.

I assume to windward I have the vang tight? and the outhaul on hard?

Any suggestions welcome

Cheerio

Skipper Johnson said:
Hello there laser-liking type people. Long time no post. I have progressed from complete fool to vaguely competent over this year. I am now coming mid field and hardly ever crashing into the commodore.

My question. In around 20 knots, I really struggle to windward which I feel terrible about because Im over 6 ft and about 95 Kilos. Should be tailor made. Instead, I continually round up into the wind. I just want some reminders about what to do because tomorrow is forecast 20 knots.

I assume to windward I have the vang tight? and the outhaul on hard?

Any suggestions welcome

Cheerio

Hey, Skipper J, welcome back! I've been sailing too, but am not yet mid-fleet :(, but I'm not dead last all the time either :) . So of course, I'm jealous of you!

I have a problem with getting in irons when I tack in high wind. Do you round up when tacking, or does it seem random.? If random, I've no idea, except maybe watch for gusts that could be shifted. I was just reading in Ben Tan's book how to tack in high winds without getting in irons. Make sure that you are going fast, even if you have to bear off slightly. Then tack quickly, keeping the boat level (if it's heeled the wrong way it contributes to rounding up, but I forget which way), and hike out without pausing on the new side. Also, start by bearing off a bit on the new tack to get up to speed, then sheet in. Hope this helps.

Hey Mezza! Its not really tacking I have a problem with. Its really the gusts. The lake I sail on is very gusty which makes it hard to commit to really hiking hard. I guess I should just bear away a little and ease the sheet as I anticipate the gust. Dont be jealous Mezza, Im talking about a 12 fleet field!!!

if you have to bear off and sail a little off the wind cause it is faster but not as efficient in gaining ground (or water). make sure your cunning ham is on tight and make sure you have your vang reasonably tight depending on how over powered you are. Try and anticipate the gusts.

Skipper Johnson said:
Hey Mezza! Its not really tacking I have a problem with. Its really the gusts. The lake I sail on is very gusty which makes it hard to commit to really hiking hard. I guess I should just bear away a little and ease the sheet as I anticipate the gust. Dont be jealous Mezza, Im talking about a 12 fleet field!!!

Skizza! On our whacky reservoir the gust could be shifted either way. So one of my mentors tells me to watch what happens to the boats in front of me. When she is in front and has no Lasers to judge from, she is watching other fleets to see what tacks they are on, etc. I hate it when I'm fully hiked and the gust suddenly dies, too. Ain't we got fun!

Congrats on getting published! The thing about being mid-fleet, it's harder to mine for humor. ;)

When the gusts are especially harsh, I make sure to never cleat the sail and to have it very loose in my hand. When a gust hits, all at once I extend to full hike, pinch up a little bit, and ease the sail out. Of those three, however, the sail-holding hand is on a knee-jerk response and a foot of mainsheet goes out a quarter of a second after the gust hits. once the sail is eased some, everything becomes easier because you're not laid over on edge and out of control from the gust.

i agree with you by pinching up you depower the sail in the front important is on a lake with low waves that you sit us much in front you can and hike of course hard also on the second triangle up till the mark!!and the third as well smile!!
with 95 kg it should be no problems to sail 20 kn!!do not stretch the outhaul to much you need the power on the lower section of the sail!cunnigham and vang as described! wish you full success from switzerland! :)

Ease, hike, trim.
Ease, hike, trim.
Ease, hike, trim.

Repeat this 1000 times, and you'll be there.

Ease the sheet just a bit, hike hard to flatten the boat out and trim the sail back in to where it was before.

Ease, hike, trim.
Ease, hike, trim.
Ease, hike, trim.

You only have 994 to go-

Healing and hacking up to windward is a common problem.

Ben Tan has a fantastic set of phots (page 26) showing the impact of the cunningham on the draft of the sail. Think about how the turning moment (to windward) around the centre board reduces as the draft of the sail shift forward. Appreciating that difference helped my sailing improve in 20+kt conditions.

The table on pages 32-33 also gives you a really handy guide.

Good luck

Paul

46 degrees S

I dont weigh enough for my full rig. Since there is to much wind I'll just say home. My one day in the last month I can go and it is to windy to stay upright.

I dont think my parents will go for that. I do great when the wind isnt to strong. Ever since i got the boat i havent had any trouble until the 20 + winds

listen, the key to sailing in breeze is hiking har, tons of cunningham, and vang, the outhaul should really not be tightened to much, only to keep the sail about a hands length from boom as the boom bends due to the vang. Not tightening the outhaul also gives you a bit of punch through waves etc... The vang should be tight but not overdone as this will round you into the wind if youre not hiking hard enough, easing the sail with alot of vang ie when the booms goes straight out versues coming up doesnt lose you alot of speed as long as it comes back in. Its important to keep the boat flat, dont be afraid to ease, but also look upwind and anticipate the puffs. Finially cunningham this depowers the whole sail versus just the bottom third with the outhaul. Probally the best way to depower. I sail with the gromet almost down to the boom and sail with a bit less vang than others. remember that height through speed is always perferably to pinching. you have to play the controls and sheet to go fast and you gotta hike hard all the time.

I was racing last weekend in 20-25 kts with higher gusts and the windward mark was set very close to the opposite shore. The wind up there was really gusty with sudden headers and changes in velocity that made capsizing to windward a distinct possibility. I did several things in anticipation:
I never got fully hiked so to compensate I let the main out more to keep flat in the short blasts.
I never two-blocked the main; I left maybe a foot out. This was all so that when I lost my gust and my butt hit the water to windward, I could pull in on the main and also bear off a little, if I could, and lean in. This prevented quite a few capsizes to windward.
Like some of the others have said the key is to anticipate the next gust and what it is going to do. If you're ready for it you will pass people that are only reacting to it after it hits them.

Hey Sailor327, where were you last weekend? The Florida State Champs were in your backyard!

1. Flat, flat, FLAT!!!! and flat means completely flat, not heeled 15 degrees. Look at the top sailors in your fleet: their boats never heel while sailing upwind in a breeze. With the boat heeled, the sailplan loses power, the rudder and board (undersized to begin with) lose their grip, the boat wants to round up, and the hull slams into each wave. Do whatever you need to keep the boat flat: (EASE HIKE TRIM as another poster said). Don't be shy about easing a lot if that's what it takes.
  2. Cunningham on hard. With an older sail, don't be surprised if you're pulling the cringle down to the gooseneck or below. Get that draft forward, the mast bent, the sail flattened.
  3. Vang. If you don't have the vang tight, then each time you ease the sheet, the boom lifts, the mast straightens, and the sail actually gets fuller. Right at the point you're trying to reduce power in a gust by easing.

Back