Sailing Distance

James W.

...sorry, another newb question.

How far (non stop) have you sailed in a one day outing?
I'm an easy cruiser so I'm really interested in this. I just
like to do long distances and enjoy the beach, stop at a
beach side restaurant for a snack, stop at a gift shop and
do a little shopping for my girls etc. :cool:

James

Back in 2005 Michael Blackburn sailed a Laser across the Bass Strait between Tasmania and Australia, 115 nautical miles in 13.5 hours.

:D Thanks to All !! I agree with you Wavedancer- it's not designed to be a cruiser but I guess
what I really mean to say is I like relaxed, easy sailing. It's good to know I can go some distance.
What a perfect boat for me- light weight, fast/easy setup, fast/easy breakdown, fits in garage, etc.

-James

I sail in lakes/reservoirs and my track tends to be back+forth or end-to-end. But it's common for me to cover 15-20nm in 2-3 hrs sailing. My speed is generally 1/2 of the wind speed, maybe a little less. So in 15-20 kts wind, I might average 7-8 knts for 2-3 hrs. I come in cuz I'm tired. I usually don't carry snacks etc.

it depends on the wind and point of sail, if you're on a reach in planing conditions you could sail a long distance pretty easily, you'll want to be sure to have water, snacks ect if you're sailing far, you don't want to get stuck without any water especially if the wind drops off.

if you're going this fast you'll cover a good amount of distance

I sail a Sunfish, but my max distance is probably about 10 miles. I was sailing with my wife on board, too - I imagine if I had been sailing alone, I might have sailed out even farther. I figure we sailed about 5 miles out and then turned around and came back in. it was a day with great wind, and one of my best memories of sailing.
I had my GoPro camera mounted to the tiller, and made this video of it:

cheers,
tag (my2fish)

Pretty cool to hear about people doing longer distances in these boats. One of my friends has been trying (fairly successfully) to convince me to sail to Catalina Island with him which is about 20 miles off the coast of CA. Might have a third friend sailing my spare boat as well. We do plan on having someone in a power boat as a safety chase though, just in case something goes wrong.

I've done 12.2 miles in my Mirror dinghy in about 2.5/3 hours. I've done a few <10 mile trips in the afternoon in my laser, but plan to extended that to +20 miles this summer.

Man, this is GOOD to hear! I love cruising longer distances.
20+ miles will be awesome in a Laser!!! BTW, nice video my2fish.

James

Nice trip Jon !!!!! I liked the narrative/explanation you gave on your trip site.
If/when I ever have the guts to do something like this- I would for sure take
my hand held GPS unit with the coord's (from Google Earth) coded in. I do
this on car trips all the time and find the Google coord's to be accurate.

James

@James @Tag I had my iphone in a waterproof case with GPS/Charting software so I knew where I was and I was emailing a friend along the way so he knew my progress. I'm also pretty familiar with the area having sailed a slightly shorter ~20 mile round the island trip on much the same waters. As for plotting the course... I just used the geo garage to plot it afterward and just screen captured it to make the image. http://marine.geogarage.com/routes/...zNjEiLCJ6IjoxNH0sIm8iOnsiOTUzIjp7InQiOjgwfX19

Reactions: tag
We made 65 nautical miles (2007) in two days, Port San Isidro to Martin Garcia Island, Rio de la Plata, Buenos Aires - Argentina. First day 9.20am to 19hs. second day, 11.00am to 15.20 aprox. regards

28-01-07_1722.jpg
29-01-07_1017.jpg

29-01-07_0944.jpg
29-01-07_1205.jpg
29-01-07_1451.jpg
28-01-07_1910.jpg
28-01-07_1737.jpg
29-01-07_0955.jpg
29-01-07_1205.jpg

Ruta a Martin Garcia.jpg
29-01-07_1020.jpg

Back