Sailing alone safety question

Interesting Thread...

I have sailed my Laser mostly solo since 1982. On the chilly waters of San Francisco and Tomales Bays, a full wetsuit, boots, gloves, and a good lifejacket have always been my battle dress.

... ...

It’s like piloting a small plane. Poor planning and these little things can surprise you and ruin your day. Proper clothing, gear, planning, and judgment - know your weather and water conditions – are paramount. I have at various times carried flares, waterproof phone and VHF, but the best safety factor is time in the boat. Keep practicing. Solo, if you have to.

Dennis Olson
Tomales Bay, CA

Dennis,

That is a great story - I laughed and laughed! And also entirely believable.

I pretty much agree with your arsenal of safety equipment for sailing. I just added another little item that you might consider, that may have helped you in your described incident. I bought a little collapsable paddle from West Marine for $24-$25. It collapses to 18" inches, and telescopes out to 48". It has an aluminum shaft with plastic paddle, and appears quite sturdy. I drilled a hole in the paddle, and tied a line from it to a point in the cockpit, in case of capsizing.

Tim Hanson
Whidbey Island, WA

Tim,

I did carry a stubby little paddle (lashed between the bow cleat and mast) for many years, but never used it. It's pretty rare to get "stranded" type calms here where I sail, and when it has happened, I find the "rocking the boat" method of propulsion to be easier and faster than paddling. BUT, that one doesn't work when you've been dismasted....

Dennis
Tomales Bay, CA

Tim,

... I find the "rocking the boat" method of propulsion to be easier and faster than paddling. BUT, that one doesn't work when you've been dismasted....

Dennis
Tomales Bay, CA

Dennis,

Could you descirbe this "rocking the boat" technique? I'm all infavor of doing things the easy way. Maybe I can still return my paddle! :D

Tim
Whidbey Island, WA

Tim,

There are probably other variations to the "rocking propulsion," but here's how I do it:

- center the tiller (I lock mine with a bit of shock cord that stays tied to the rear of my hiking strap.

- sheet in the main all the way. Centerboard down.

- I tie a slip-knot to keep the mainsheet tight at the block, but always keep the tail of the mainsheet in hand.

- get up on your feet, forward of the mast, facing aft.

- with foot and hand-pressure, start rocking the boat, slowly and firmly from side to side, handing the mast back and forth.

- this will generate lift from your centered sail, and you can steer a bit by favoring which way you hold the rolling motion.

- soon the boat will pick up speed and your motion will resemble that of a stairmaster; you get a workout and you get home.

The bottom line, though, is, invariably, once you commit to this whole exercise, the wind will pick up and send you scrambling back to the cockpit!

Dennis
Tomales Bay, CA

Tim,

There are probably other variations to the "rocking propulsion," but here's how I do it:

- center the tiller (I lock mine with a bit of shock cord that stays tied to the rear of my hiking strap.

- sheet in the main all the way. Centerboard down.

- I tie a slip-knot to keep the mainsheet tight at the block, but always keep the tail of the mainsheet in hand.

- get up on your feet, forward of the mast, facing aft.

- with foot and hand-pressure, start rocking the boat, slowly and firmly from side to side, handing the mast back and forth.

- this will generate lift from your centered sail, and you can steer a bit by favoring which way you hold the rolling motion.

- soon the boat will pick up speed and your motion will resemble that of a stairmaster; you get a workout and you get home.

The bottom line, though, is, invariably, once you commit to this whole exercise, the wind will pick up and send you scrambling back to the cockpit!

Dennis
Tomales Bay, CA

Dennis,

Thanks a lot! This sounds pretty simple. Center everything and tie it down, then rock the boat. I may launch the boat one of these days, when there is no wind, just to see how it works.

Tim
Whidbey Island, WA

Back