sailing again!!!

Alcort59224

I just got my two sunfish on the water for the first time this year. we were on burden lake N.Y. and the wind today was rediclous. the weather said winds at 25-30 mph with gusts to 40 mph. the sailing was insane. I really didnt want to get wet (luckley i didnt) because the ice on that lake just melted off last week and the ait temp today was about 40*F. my newley restored 84' performed perfectly but the old style rudder hardwhere pulled out of the deck of my 69' so i'll be fixing that before next weekend. I geess at 40 years old and the force on that rudder in wind that strong she just couldent take it....oh well it was worth it, i figure if thats all that broke on boats that old in that wind im prety lukey.
-Good sailing to all.....

-Eric

old style rudder hardwhere pulled out of the deck of my 69' so i'll be fixing that before next weekend.

cut the hole for a 6" inspection port (get port first and use it for template--doggone it see directions ...), halfway between cockpit and transom, or barely, slightly closer to transom (just so you can reach the transom but also reach the cockpit tub. When you cut the fiberglass deck you'll likely find brown expanding foam almost completely closing off access into the inside of the hull. Don't fret! In the middle there will be white Styrofoam -- 4" wide --leave that. On either side of that 4" you can simply cut (serrated bread knife works great!) the brownish expando foam and pull it out and pitch it.

You'll find a wood block backing the deck plates and another wood block backing the hull-bottom plates for the old style rudder mounting. The bottom one is likely fiberglassed into place. So far every old style I've opened has had the wood blocks rotted. Not a big deal. They did their job for 40 years, it's just time for a new one to get 40 more years, right?

Use the old block as a template for cutting a new one out of mahogany or other suitable wood. Recommend GE Silicone caulk into holes to help seal them and keep them from leaking. Read curing time and temperatures so it cures completely before you go for next sail. After fully reinstalling the mounting plates, THEN install the inspection port.

Good luck!

Back