Sailing a Laser when overweight

crazyuncle

At 95kg I'm about 12kg (about 26lbs) overweight for the standard laser. I've picked up some tips over the past few years, especially from Tillman's book, about picking up boat speed but I'd appreciate any other tips from anyone in a similar condition who can keep the boat moving.

haha if only i was 95kg ... i'm 115kg ... the key is the same as every other overweight sailor ... pray for over 15knots :D in all honesty my weight has not made an impact at this stage .. given i've only raced once in a laser, my sailing ability was able to get me two seconds out of a fleet of 7.

sorry did not help much did I :eek:

downwind is where my weight seems to make the biggest impact ... on the upwind i am currently pulling everything on a little less than what they are as i have more ballast.

I'm heavy too. I try to think light and depower much less than the lighter guys. Really have to work it DW to keep up.

interesting so DW is a pain in the bazooka for us heavy weights... i'll install some lights to make my boat lighter :rolleyes: also .... laser love to be flat.. sail them flat sail them fast.

The heavier the boat, the more power required to get it "on plane." man i gotta lose some weight

Back