Sailfish + VW Bus Ad

Saw this at VW dealership today. Found this copy on eBay. Pretty cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-VW-Volkswagen-bus-station-wagon-sailboat-ad-/140442534386
Browse the VW ad websites and you can find the rest of the story ... year of publication, magazines run in, sometimes quips on how the idea came about and its success..., or failure.

Odd that lately Sailfish/Sunfish ads have appeared on ebay ... BUT without any supporting documentation. IMHO, memorabilia like that, missing the year and publication from the page are reduced to 99¢ novelties. The whole magazine, kept intact could have nostalgic value, but not a single ripped out page.

Here’s a freebie of the ad from a VW website.

Click image to enlarge, click the (+) in the upper L of the larger image for full size
4947224384_97572e2ea4_b.jpg

The original dealer sign would be a good find, they were movie poster size.

Hmm, I'm not an expert, but the lower boom looks very long. Appears to extend from nearly the bow, back to a considerable stern overhang, resulting in a oversized (turbo charged) sail area? :eek:

Hmm, I'm not an expert, but the lower boom looks very long. Appears to extend from nearly the bow, back to a considerable stern overhang, resulting in a oversized (turbo charged) sail area? :eek:
You're getting warm . . . half way there ... :cool:

Ok, second guess. The upper boom apears the same length as the lower boom. The extended length of the two booms support an oversized sail, hence turbo-charged?

Also, someting looks odd with the main sheet at the bridle attachment. At first glance, it looks as if the sheet is snagged on the tiller extension, but not sure. Well maybe it's snagged on the rear window of the bus, but the possible window looks too long.

Ok, second guess. The upper boom apears the same length as the lower boom. The extended length of the two booms support an oversized sail, hence turbo-charged?
Your observations are correct, except the spars aren't extended, they are stock parts..., as is the sail.

Still warm... ;)

Halyard is in the wrong location on the upper boom?
Not tied at the most efficient spot, I agree. It's rigged very beach resort style.

Getting colder... :(

... another hint, the bow handle, though difficult to see, what is visible is a telling piece of the puzzle. (a magnifying glass is not essential either)

Original question - what's wrong with this picture?

...is the sail is rigged on the wrong side of the mast?

[edit] No, never mind. Is the bow handle backwards?

I think this is the right term, the leech of the sail is to long? For it to have the upper spar that high the lower boom should be angled up at about 40 deg.

I think it is possible this Sailfish has had a nose job and is shorter than a normal Sailfish. Or alternatively it is a standard Sailfish with the rig of a Super Saifish. Standard Sailfish were shorter with a four panel sail. BB

It's the German SF clone, the U-boat!:D
Unterfish ? nicht gut

Drop that one in the Laser Performance suggestion box.

I think this is the right term, the leech of the sail is to long? For it to have the upper spar that high the lower boom should be angled up at about 40 deg.
A lot of thought, but as I said earlier, the spars and sail are normal Sailfish parts.

I think it is possible this Sailfish has had a nose job and is shorter than a normal Sailfish. Or alternatively it is a standard Sailfish with the rig of a Super Sailfish. Standard Sailfish were shorter with a four panel sail. BB

WE HAVE A WINNER

it is a Standard Sailfish with the rig of a Super Sailfish.

fireworks2.gif

Clue #1 … The sail is 75 sq ft as evidenced by 13’ 8” spars ... based on scaling the hull against the spars..., and visa versa.

Clue #2 … The bow handle is right at the tip of the bow, indicative of a wood hull (the Standard Sailfish was only produced with a wood hull)

Thanks for all that: I wouldn't have noticed or known the differences. Is a Super Sailfish sail available (cheaper) for a Sunfish?

I was going to write that this was a '62 or later VW bus, but I checked, and they have it listed as a '63 already. It's hard to tell from the photo that the front turn signals have amber bulbs! :p

This particular bus is known in the trade as a "21-window" bus. In driving one, I found it was too "tippy". IRS was added in 1968, which made it handle like a sports car, or at least, handled far better.

I still own a '71 VW camper—reputedly the best of all the air-cooled VW buses—and flat-towed a Porsche 914-6 to autocross events with it! I told folks my VW camper "would corner with a Porsche". :p

Alas, the VW camper is in storage :( the Sunfish, however, is used every sunny day. :)

Back