Sailfish Sail

saverio

Hello Everyone,

I am currently restoring a Sailfish by Alcort, i got the boat for free and it is in great condition. BUT it is missing the mast and a sail. Does anyone know where i can find information on replacing them?

Do you think i could use a sunfish sail for it?

any help would be appreciated

Hi,
I would bet that sailfish and sunfish mast-spars-sail have the same specs. Looking and goggling around it's said the sails both have 75 ft2 as sail area. But I've never compared one to one insitu. I can tell you I have a spar from a sunfish (as a replacement) and it has the same size as the one from my sailfish. I think the most important thing is to know if the mast has the same diameter; the rest should be fine.

Assuming you have the more common 14 ft Sailfish the sails are the same. However, Sailfish masts, while the same diameter as a Sunfish mast, are shorter as the hull is not as deep.

Sailfish wooden vs Super Sailfish wooden vs Super Sailfish MKII fiberglass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_(sailboat)

The basic answer to your question is yes. If you had the 12 foot Sailfish and wanted to get close to stock, you could trim the mast. For a sail try putting an ad in the Forum Wanted section or contact a sailmaker, they probably have specs and could cut one for you.

Happy sailing
Kent

Back