Sailfish outrigger

JerryP

Did a little experiment with some quick made outriggers for vacation
I now have a Sailboat, Standup Paddle board, kayak, and ark...
No leakage, paddles great, the low draft means it will go anywhere a Kayak can.
I took it up a lake tributary, past 3 inch ripples, until even the Kayaks could not go.
We had one windy day for sailing, but I have 5 days of fun.
I think I will make some prettier outriggers, instead of the build in an evening poor mans fiberglass. Those things did spend all week in the water, and multiple rainstorms everyday, and had no water soak in.
773ABDDE-B9AC-4583-B845-5FBC3333CD74.jpeg

A3831212-A0F4-4FD3-8C3D-A214FF9DE4FD.jpeg
4DA04ADD-D23B-4125-8A22-3B76B751C306.jpeg
F390AA55-E72D-409D-9082-3B76FBD2187C.jpeg

1313AD7E-A6B5-4B72-90AC-5589F86A0701.jpeg

Did a little experiment with some quick made outriggers for vacation
I now have a Sailboat, Standup Paddle board, kayak, and ark...
No leakage, paddles great, the low draft means it will go anywhere a Kayak can.
I took it up a lake tributary, past 3 inch ripples, until even the Kayaks could not go.
We had one windy day for sailing, but I have 5 days of fun.
I think I will make some prettier outriggers, instead of the build in an evening poor mans fiberglass. Those things did spend all week in the water, and multiple rainstorms everyday, and had no water soak in.
"Fun" is what it's all about! :) (And it looks like you've got the entire boating scene covered). :cool:

Especially "The Ark"—what an experience (for all) ! :D There's a little more room under those taller passengers.

If the outriggers were made of PVC, you'd have secure storage (using PVC end-caps) when off the water. (But the ark would have less room for those critters who like to jump into the water).

Is poor man's fiberglass a phrase meaning, "plywood"?

Keep us attuned with your adventures. ;)

Last edited:
"Fun" is what it's all about! :) (And it looks like you've got the entire boating scene covered). :cool:

Especially "The Ark"—what an experience (for all) ! :D There's a little more room under those taller passengers.

If the outriggers were made of PVC, you'd have secure storage (using PVC end-caps) when off the water. (But the ark would have less room for those critters who like to jump into the water).

Is poor man's fiberglass a phrase meaning, "plywood"?

Keep us attuned with your adventures. ;)

Poor mans fiberglass or PMF is styrofoam, or plywood covered with cotton sheets, or canvas ( as glass cloth), and using Titebond 2 wood glue ( as the epoxy)
It is a modification the old prefiberglass method of glueing and then painting canvas over plywood boats to waterproof and preserve the wood.
I just went with the glue only, because I glued up the EPS foam boards, and covered in 1 evening. So I would have them for vacation, the glue was still un dried when I put them in the water..
A set of outriggers cost 350.00 or more, and these cost about 40.00..

There was no wind for all but one of the days we were camping, and the outriggers made it fun everyday all day, and I could easily keep up with my friend Kayaks, and do everything they did, and a lot more.
Btw, these little Sailfish sail wonderfully.
I have never sailed in a lakes before, and it is so different than the ocean, with a constant wind. Small Inland lakes are not near as good to sail in.

Great idea Jerry! It would've been a bummer to not have wind after dragging the sailfish out there. I like how you rigged that up with the ratchet straps so you didn't have to alter the Sailfish.

Back