Sailfish Kit instructions?

Phantom

Senior Sunfish Sailor
I've just picked up a partially built Super Sailfish kit from 1959. It looks to be complete, with one major part missing; the instructions! Does anyone have or know of where I could get a copy of the instructions so I can finish building my new 48 year old Saifish?
Thanks!

Okay, it doesn't look promising for finding printed directions... :(

Has anyone out there built a kit Sunfish or Sailfish? I realize it would have been many years ago, but someone must remeber how they did it (I hope).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have only seen the images in Will Whites Sunfish Book. I think there are some more images of finished and partially assembled boats on the Sunfish Sailor site.

I just looked over at the Sunfish Sailor Forum and there is a member who has a 1959 unassembled. I think I see instructions in one of the photos. Perhaps you can contact that member and exchange information.

Attachments

• 1959 Sail Fish Kit with Directions.jpg
    1959 Sail Fish Kit with Directions.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 1959 Sail Fish Kit 03.jpg
    1959 Sail Fish Kit 03.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 1959 Sail Fish Kit 02.jpg
    1959 Sail Fish Kit 02.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 1959 Sail Fish Kit 01.jpg
    1959 Sail Fish Kit 01.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 85
Thanks Repete, you've found the pictures of my boat kit! Pretty amazing condition, isn't it? You can see the hardest part is built, I just need to know how to finish up.

What looks like instructions in the picture are the rigging instructions and the decal. That's right, the Sailfish decal has survived almost 50 years, too! The previous owner managed to save all the hardware, but lose the instructions. I know I shouldn't complain, as that hardware would be impossible to find today.

Greetings Phantom,
I had no way of knowing that is your project file on the SF Sailor forum. Very nice, amazing condition and the whole historical essence of what you have. I wish you luck in finding the instructions. My mother in law was a librarian and help me find some historical newspaper articles on micro-fiche. I found some electrical diagrams for 68 chevelle too and it makes me wonder if your local library may have some archives or a database to other archives.

Again Good Luck and keep us all posted.
Keep the photos coming as you go.

Pete

Thanks again! I never even thought about the library (Guess I've gotten too used to only looking on the net!)

The pictures on the Sailfish site are great, too. My favorite is the family taking the Sailfish out of the box!

Have you tried asking your question at Sunfish Sailor? I recall a couple of posts about people restoring wood sailfish from the framework up in the last year.

Here is a long shot. A gentleman in Skaneateles, NY by the name of Joseph (Joe) Spaulding used to work in the original Alcort plant in Connecticut when he was a young man and he may have a set of the plans or know how to locate a set. The problem is that Joe is not listed in he telephone directory for that area. But call a relative, Paul Spaulding at (315) 685-6192 and I am betting that Paul can link you up with Joe. Good luck.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I've found someone who's restored a wooden Sailfish, who sent me MANY tips and instructions (with pictures) so I think that will get me started in the right direction.

I also found a very old Clark Craft Kit Boat catalog from the '60s that shows several pictures of someone building their version of a Sailfish. The catalog even admits it's a copy of Alcort's original Sailfish! Those pictures answered my biggest question; Was the original plywood hull and deck nailed or screwed (with glue, of course) to the frame? One picture clearly shows the builder nailing the hull to the frame.

Okay, so now it's time to get the process started!

THANKS to everyone for the input and suggestions, I plan to post picture as the construction takes place.

I'm planning to use ring shank silicon bronze nails. Pretty fancy name, huh? They seem to be the popular choice for plywood boat kits. The ring shank design allows them to hold well and install quickly. The silicon bronze part keeps them from rusting away. Since I estimate having to use about 800, I think it's the way to go.

I forgot about the ring shank nail. I spent 8 months rebuilding a Newporter 40. A 40 foot ply on frame boat. The cut nails (@2000) proved to be a pain in the butt to remove even if the ply was completely rotten. I'm glad only a small % of them had to come out. That project really turned me off ply boats.

I've just picked up a partially built Super Sailfish kit from 1959. It looks to be complete, with one major part missing; the instructions! Does anyone have or know of where I could get a copy of the instructions so I can finish building my new 48 year old Saifish?
Thanks!
Ever finish?

Kb

This is a early SailFish that myself + my dad (in the picture) built from a kit in late-50's or early 60's.
It was used at Watermans Lake in Gloster R.I. and also in Tioque Lake in Coventry R.I.
My Parents sold it when I went in the Navy -1967 .
I have picked a 1976 +- MiniFish that I am restoring and will keep at Lake Naciment in Oak Shores Ca.

Attachments

• Leslie Crowe on Sailfish at Watermans Lake R.I..jpg
    Leslie Crowe on Sailfish at Watermans Lake R.I..jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:

Back