Sailfish in a PT Cruiser

bhm

I brought this home yesterday. This is the fifth boat I have carried in the back of my PT Cruiser (with the back seats removed), rather than trailer or car-top.

DSC05436.JPG

Boat #1: 10-foot kayak.

DSC04638.JPG

Boat #2: 11-foot canoe.

DSC04611.JPG

Boat #3: 8-foot sailing dinghy.

DSC04818.JPG

Boat #4: 11-foot Minifish.

DSC05338.JPG

Boat #5: 14-foot Sailfish.

DSC05424.JPG

Cool. I think the maximum overhang for a motor vehicle in New York State is 4 feet but I have never heard of anybody who has been ticketed.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks. What I eventually concluded after a fairly tedious Google search last Fall (can't find the crucial references now) seemed to say that four feet is the threshold where you need to flag the load (as I do here with pool noodles clipped onto the bow handle), while the actual length by which your flagged load can extend beyond the rearmost solid lower support was a certain fixed fraction of the distance between the two axles. For my car I had calculated this maximal length to be a little over five feet, so based on that I believe that all of these loads are actually NYS legal!

Thanks. What I eventually concluded after a fairly tedious Google search last Fall (can't find the crucial references now) seemed to say that four feet is the threshold where you need to flag the load (as I do here with pool noodles clipped onto the bow handle), while the actual length by which your flagged load can extend beyond the rearmost solid lower support was a certain fixed fraction of the distance between the two axles. For my car I had calculated this maximal length to be a little over five feet, so based on that I believe that all of these loads are actually NYS legal!
ps...pool noodles are really great for hauling stuff arent they? haha.

ps...pool noodles are really great for hauling stuff arent they? haha.
I bought them by the case from Dollar Tree last Fall, to retrofit internal flotation in my kayak and canoe, so I have an infinite supply on hand, in all colors. So it was no problem to dig out an orange one for matching topmast flotation when I finally got my orange Minifish sail fixed and flying, just this week.

Also ... competition regarding what?

DSC05413c.jpg

Reactions: tag
I bought them by the case from Dollar Tree last Fall, to retrofit internal flotation in my kayak and canoe, so I have an infinite supply on hand, in all colors. So it was no problem to dig out an orange one for matching topmast flotation when I finally got my orange Minifish sail fixed and flying, just this week.

Also ... competition regarding what?

View attachment 50677
what are the aluminum extrusion things??

what are the aluminum extrusion things??

You still win the competition. At least I never bought more than one of the same boat!

The aluminum things are the Sailboats-to-go modular crossbars, that can carry a mast step, bowsprit, leeboards, outriggers or dolly wheels. I moved them from my kayak and canoe over to the Minifish hull, and soon also onto my new Sailfish.

DSC05307c.jpg

DSC05487.JPG

Last edited:

Back