Sailfish help

Davey's Locker

Folks,

I'm a newbie. Only sailed a couple of times. I was given a Sailfish. I cannot find a model number but appears in good shape. It is probably 13+ feet long and you sit on top of it. It has the rudder and stabilizer (wooden and looks okay), but no sail, masts, booms or rigging.

So, I see this brand is no longer made, at least in sailboats, and Sunfish is where folks go to get parts, etc.

I know I will need what is missing. But first, can someone help me identify the model and maybe provide some advice on what to look for? Like I said, it appears in good shape or at least the fiberglass does. Also, tips on buying sails and hardware.

I'm including a partial photo and have blocked out the letters someone had placed on it (looks like WS####CD = Wisconsin?).

Thanks,

Dave
sailfish.jpg

Keep an eye on craigslist and your local classified listings. You’re looking for the full rig- mast, boom, sail and lines. A Sunfish sail is more readily found (not a lot of Sailfish sails in decent shape any more)
If you’re lucky you’ll find them all together for $150-250

Thanks Breeze Bender. I have been looking now and on ebay too. I checked the Sunfish parts site and yow! Pretty expensive with the mast, booms, sail and other hardware. One last question: Not sure of the model I have nor can I find a serial number. So, are the sail size pretty much the same?

Davey,

You have a fiberglass Super Sailfish Mark II, and it looks to be in good shape. This model had a 75 sq. ft., sail booms and mast the same size as a modern Sunfish, if you can find a Sunfish rig. it will fit your boat. To bad you are so far away as I sell a mast for $65, upper boom for $35, lower boom with blocks for $45, bronze gooseneck for $38 . These parts are too long to ship, but if you find yourself in Central NY, near Syracuse, I could fix you up.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

You might try putting a ‘wanted’ ad on craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Definitely want to find the spars (mast, booms) locally. If you find them without a sail I’d order a new sail from Intensity Sails- can’t beat their prices. I’ve seen worn out old sails sell for way more than they’re worth on ebay, so be careful there.

One of the best ways to get Sailfish parts is to Keep an eye on FB market place. Every couple of months someone cleans out their garage and find a worn out/trashed boat that they just want gone. I went to go look at one last Fall. The hill was marginal, but it included spars and most of the other parts. I passed, because I was mainly interested in the hard-to-find rudder hardware, which was missing (and my wife has the foolish notion that three sailboats are enough. One more might just push her over the edge!). The owner wanted $50 for it, which was certainly a great deal just for the parts alone! Just keep looking, something will turn up. Or take a ride out to NY to buy one from Glos!

Back