Sailfish Drain plug Removal

Deerhunter

I have a 1965 Super Sailfish and the drain plug is corroded shut. I have tried some penetrating liquid but still no luck....HELP

Follow up to Alan. Make sure the blade of your screw driver is the same size as the the slot. After the blaster, put a wrench on the driver and work back and forth. It will come out.

Thanks Alan. I have been using PB Blaster. Are they the same stuff?

FYI this is the last repair on the inherited 1965 Sailfish.

Follow up to Alan. Make sure the blade of your screw driver is the same size as the the slot. After the blaster, put a wrench on the driver and work back and forth. It will come out.
Thanks Alan, I will try out the wrench and driver. Just a bit nervous if I break it off what I would need to do to fix it then. Will be optimistic when I try the slightly more aggressive approach.

Thank Again

I had to get mine out last year and it wouldn't come out. Now don't laugh, but what got it out was putting a layer of paper towel in the screw slot before putting the screw driver in. It greatly increased the friction and kept the screwdriver from popping out of the slot so easily, especially if turning it with a helper wrench. Since then, I opened it up again the paper towel tricked worked like a champ. There are witnesses. :)

I tried the screw driver, but i ended up having to grind a slot in the top of mine so that eventauly after squeeseing it with pliers, i could get the top piece (the part that holds the cap on) to break in half and then the drain part fell out.

IT'S OUT. Yahoo, and it still works. Thanks to everyone with the hints. Final solution was patience and multiple applications of PB Blaster Spray over a period of 2-weeks. I was getting ready to attack it with an impact screwdriver and gave it one last try with more PB Blaster and a TSC bargain bin 3/8"x 10" screwdriver. The plug is out, well lubricated, and in great shape. No water in the hull another benefit.

I am still on a quest for a super sailfish bow handle. If anyone has one or a lead on a wrecked boat let me know. Last piece for a complete original restoration. Dad is smiling :)

Mark

Back