Sailed the Gulf of Mexico

Allatoona

Last week for Spring Break we took 10 Sea Scouts to Florida for a couple days of sailing. We hauled down my 1989 Capri 14 Mod II, a sunfish, a Catalina 22, and an O'day 22. I spent two days sailing the Capri along with the sunfish off the beach, while the big boats went out for deeper water. We were in Carrabelle, Florida and there are a couple of barrier islands that keep the surf pretty small, even when the winds were blowing.

We had a blast. One morning the wind was blowing real big, I had myself plus 3 teenagers on the Capri. A couple of times we had all 4 of us hiking out, but mostly had two of us at a time hiking out. I did my best to teach the kids how to surf the boat, but we couldn't get the boat speed quite fast enough to really surf it -- we had 2-3' swells at the largest. I had my GPS unit on board and we got close to 7mph many times.

The winds were more calm the 2nd day, and we let scouts take the boats out by themselves a couple times. I did have one opportunity to sail the boat out by myself, so of course I went about 1 mile offshore and met up with the two big boats. They followed me in and set anchor just off the beach. It made for a great afternoon.

We also had a visit of the Coast Guard Base in Panama City Beach, and had a ride on a 41' Coast Guard cruiser.

check out the pictures of the Capri in action:
http://www.sailswsc.org/php/photo_gallery/file_album.php?folder=2010_SpringBreak

-Robert
1989 Capri 14.2 Mod II
1984 Catalina 22

Looks like all had a great time on the water. I like the pics of the 14.2 on the beach .
Thanks for sharing !

Rob

Me too! (like shnool said). All I've done since November is wait out the rain (it is NOT supposed to rain in central California) and learn how to rig my new (to me) boat in my driveway.

Back