sail with a camelback

tag

my2fish
do any of you ever sail with a camelback (or similar water backpack-type thing) for water while out on the water? I guess you'd have to have a life jacket that fit comfortably over it.
camelback.jpg

I'm just wondering if that might be a better option than buying a Bottleport. the camelback could be used for hiking, mountain biking, etc in addition to sailing, while the Bottleport would only work for sailing.
30D_2829_20081002.jpg

I just get annoyed grabbing a bottle of water/gatorade/mountain dew off the cockpit floor, and taking a drink, after the bottle has been rolling around in lake water that hasn't drained out of the cockpit yet - as the lake water is often of questionable quality.

thoughts?

thad

I have been thinking about the same issue. I have the older style cockpit with no compartment. I was thinking of screwing in a couple of small eye bolts to the cockpit wall and use a small bungee to hold a water bottle, standing on the cockpit wall. However, I hate putting holes in anything. I think the camelback would be cumbersome and add to the heat of a lifejacket. For now, like you, I am just kicking around my water on the cockpit floor. I am open to ideas as well.

I think the camelback would be cumbersome and add to the heat of a lifejacket.
the smallest camelback packs are very thin and light. when i wear mine i barely even notice its there. if you got creative you could probably attach it to the outside of your lifejacket.

A full camelback does not weight that much but if yu are racing be sure that your total clothing plus the camelback weighs less than 8 kg/17 pounds to be legal. BB

The Camelback sounds like a great idea, especially the newer, thinner ones. The only issue that I can think of is that if you have your spars set low on the mast, like on a racing rig, the camelback plus the lifejacket might make it very hard for the boom to cross without getting caught on something. If you have your sail set up as a recreational rig, than I think you should be fine. You might try it with a t-shirt on over everything, making a smoother surface that the boom can glide over without getting caught.

well, I don't race - so the weight issue shouldn't be a problem. I think wearing the camelbak under the life jacket should help avoid getting it snagged by the boom as you are tacking.

just an update: I did end up buying a Camelbak, the 70 oz version, and have used it several times while mountain biking. I enjoyed it - much easier than trying to keep a water bottle from falling out of my little plastic bottle holder, and easier to reach while riding... although I noticed the bit of water in the drinking tube gets pretty warm on a hot day, so your 1st gulp of water each time is lukewarm.

I've only sailed once since I bought it, though, and in my hurry to get down to the water... I forgot to bring the camelbak. maybe next time.

They sell an insulated cover for the tube that keeps it cool(er).

I usually pinch the mouthpiece with my hand/teeth and roll my shoulders forward to squeeze the pack a little and squirt out the warm water.

Edit: although supposedly lukewarm water is better for you during exercise. Less of a shock to your system going down.

I hate putting holes in anything...I am just kicking around my water on the cockpit floor. I am open to ideas as well.
I was thinking of a bungee—attached under the forward corners of the cockpit—using construction adhesive.
It could always be chipped away when no longer needed.

I just haven't done it yet, and I have a camera, sun-screen, natural sponge, spare long-sleeved shirt, and a water bottle. Maybe I'll get a cargo net, cut it, and install it against the bulkhead—folding the net in half?

The life jacket "Competition Jacket" from Magic Marine is prepared for a camelback. I use one and feel fine with it.

I sailed on Lake Erie Sunday with the Camelbak. I wore it underneath my life jacket, and couldn't even tell it was there. worked great, other than I need to find a way to keep the drink spout up higher, so I can take a drink without using my hands.

For us pre '71 boat owners..... I tried out a simple solution to help with storing a few things during a sail. I took the main line hook at the front of the cockpit and turned it upside down to provide a hook for hanging a waterproof bag. It held my water bottle, phone, etc. Until I have a better solution, it kept things from rolling around on the floor of the cockpit

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 55
sailkb - nice thinking! do you have something keeping it in place if you flip the boat over, though?

do you have something keeping it in place if you flip the boat over, though?
No. We have had nothing but light winds lately, so wasn't a concern. Plus, the bag I was using was air tight so it would float. On a heavier wind day I thought I might tie it off on the dagger board or maybe run line up to the mast. I really don't know that it's a permanent solution, but it was simple enough to give a try.

do any of you ever sail with a camelback (or similar water backpack-type thing) for water while out on the water? I guess you'd have to have a life jacket that fit comfortably over it.
View attachment 7080
I'm just wondering if that might be a better option than buying a Bottleport. the camelback could be used for hiking, mountain biking, etc in addition to sailing, while the Bottleport would only work for sailing.
30D_2829_20081002.jpg

I just get annoyed grabbing a bottle of water/gatorade/mountain dew off the cockpit floor, and taking a drink, after the bottle has been rolling around in lake water that hasn't drained out of the cockpit yet - as the lake water is often of questionable quality.

thoughts?

thad

DO YOU KNOW WHAT ONE OF THOSE THINGS WEIGHS????

Nothing, in the water. You might actually get some floatation out of it.
Reminds me of swimming with my croc's. They are buoyant, which makes up for the poor flipper shape.

A Camelback seems like a good idea. I like the bottle port, personally, but anything that gets the water bottle out of the bilge is a good thing.

Back