Sail Tubes

eeiffert

Inherited a couple of 6" PVC Schedule 40 tubes originally used for Laser sails. Will need to lengthen and put in slot for gooseneck. What overall length is good and how big and how long should be slot? Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks, Eric

How are you going to get the gooseneck into the tube? How do you plan to lengthen or connect the tubes? I think you’ll need 8” diameter PVC, 13-14’ long with end caps. Expensive, so I’ve been keeping my eyes open (for a long time) for used or extra from a construction job.

Inherited a couple of 6" PVC Schedule 40 tubes originally used for Laser sails. Will need to lengthen and put in slot for gooseneck. What overall length is good and how big and how long should be slot? Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks, Eric
The tube needs to be just a bit longer than the spars, so around 14 feet. The slot needs to correspond with where the gooseneck is. So if your gooseneck is at 20 inches, the slot would need to be an inch or two longer than that.

I can splice them together to get the 14', but gooseneck requires a slot cut in end, just don't know what size.

The tube needs to be just a bit longer than the spars, so around 14 feet. The slot needs to correspond with where the gooseneck is. So if your gooseneck is at 20 inches, the slot would need to be an inch or two longer than that.
Thanks. So about 22" long and 1/2" wide would be good. 14' long?

I was looking at foundation tubes,they looked ok to me ,l found many different diameters and even found some that were slightly different in dia. And could be used for a splice Or to make end caps.l thought l could use a tube dia to hold folded fully rigged mast,booms and sail including gooseneck.I wanted this to store mast and rigging during weekdays when we were not at the cottage

The foundation tubes I've collected, are heavy cardboard. (Sonotube). NOT that there's anything wrong with that!

"Schedule 40 PVC" is unnecessarily expensive and heavy for this purpose--IMHO. (I've got stored a 20' length of heavy Schedule 40 PVC--rescued from a dumpster). ; ). I'd look for the lighter schedule 20--or 10 (if it's made in that very lightweight form).

Suggestion: maybe rout that slot into the shape of the letter "J", to better secure it within? :)

1) Loosen the gooseneck and the slot can be made much shorter.

2) I'd want to know (from members) their thoughts on mildew growing on a totally-enclosed sail. :oops:

3) Unless you can bench-press your own weight, I wouldn't use 3-inch Gorilla tape. :confused:

Back