Sail touches shroud on a run

Tsoman

Hello everyone

I have a 1985 capri 14.2 which I am learning on. I sail in Charleston and so far only in the Stono River. I tow it to the launch in my Jetta and set everything up when I get there. I have been out maybe 6 or 7 times so far in a range of wind conditions, and I am having a lot of fun especially on the windy days.

One question I have: When I sail downwind, I let the mainsheet out, but the sail presses against the shroud a little bit. Is this normal? I don't want the sails to take unnecessary wear because of possible rubbing. I think I have pulled the main halyard all the way tight, I have the outhaul tightened, and the boom vang is attached and is also tight.

Thanks!

That's normal. From what I have seen, jibs usually crack their windows or get blown out of shape before they ever tear where they rub the shrouds or the spreader tips. Suppose if they ever do show excessive wear there before you want to replace the jib, you could reinforce. RK

I agree; my mainsail shows quite a crease in its upper half from the shroud on a run, especially if in wing and wing configuration. My old main was toward the end of its life and really stretched out, so I probably saw more shroud crease than normal.

Make sure you have wrapped the spreader tips with some tape and do inspect your shroud for "meat hooks." If your shroud is an older type, the wire will be coated with vinyl -- hard to check for broken strands, but nicer to your sail.

As for your main halyard and vang: the main halyard should be set so that there's no more than a five inch gap between the head of sail and the top of the mast (sheave). Be sure your vang is loose when raising the main sail. Make sure your boom gooseneck is adjusted so that you can get the top of main into that area mentioned above.

The vang adjustment is a more complicated item. I ususally have mine on pretty tight -- generally loosen if very gentle winds, but I've had some pretty mean gusts come up with an overpowered main and it is really a thrill (my wife will say scary!).

-- Ed

One more thing;

I do not race as much as I cruise nowadays. When cruising I have a knot in the mainsheet so the boom is well short of hitting the shroud and that reduces the chance of damage during an accidental gype. It also reduces the chance of capsizing downwind in a strong blow. (An odd time to capsize and difficult to explain, but that is another subject). However when racing I'm sure everyone tries to get the barn door as perpendicular to the wind as possible at the risk of a little wear on the sail. the other alternative is to tack-downwind, but I have had limited success with that in this boat. Tacking downwind means altering course to a broad reach and gyping: perhaps even several times. It is also called "heating it up" and in some boats in some wind conditions the net speed to the mark can be faster than running straight down wind.

Back