Sail ties

altair

Does anyone know of an internet site where you can buy sunfish sail ties? I have tried to go to a few sites but cannot find sail ties. Some sites offer a full line package but I just need ties.

I use 1.5 and 3 mm excel vectran (marlow ropes) for sail ties. You can sometimes find it in a mini-spool. Then you can cut your own. It is very strong. The 1.5 mm is listed at having over 600 lb break. it holds knots very well. Spectra (uncovered) gets slippery and can come loose.

Only one word of caution for using spectra sail ties without cover is that the stuff is slippery and it gets slippier as it used. I have lost a fey spectra sail ties. You have to make sure the knot is really tight. The vectran sail ties are really stiff and stay that way for a long time. The knots don't have to be as secure.

Not that I don't like spectra...I love spectra for just about anything you don't have to hold or tie and highly recommend it for outhaul/cunningham where bowlines are used. I always keep some spectra handy on leadmines as it is very versatile and super strong.

Back