Sail Storage?

phish133

Sunfish sailor
A recent thread about sail repair brought up a question about sail storage (short/medium term). I would be interested in any tips/techniques that anyone would like to volunteer about storing one's sail (on the spars).
I typically store my sail in a canvas(not waterproof) sail cover. After racing, I fresh water rinse it as best as possible, let it dry, then roll it so the finished roll is next to, but NOT around, the spars. Anyone have any other suggestions? I understand that hanging it (from the rafters or other location) is also helpful, space permitting.

Also, what's the general consensus for an estimate of the effective life of a racing sail. Understand there's alot of variables involved, but assume average use (some heavy, some light air racing about average of 3 races month).
How long before the draft of the sail gets toooo big, and the sail becomes an issue. Again I understand that this is variable, and effectivesness of a sail is somewhat subjective as well, but any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Back