Sail setting

Divouneh

Good morning,I am new in the forum and a new Sunfish owner from Lewes (DE). I have a question about the setting from the sail. I watched few pictures in the web, but for the same sail the position in the mat seems moving a lot. In the attached picture you have tree dimensions A; B; C…
What is the basic setting for A & B ?
Thanks

Question.jpg

For racing B should be 161 inches, and for rec sailing about 169 inches. The gooseneck should be, for general use, 17 inches back from the front of the lower boom.

Welcome.

For recreational sailing we use "The Geezer Rig." The gooseneck is set around 22 inches aft on the lower boom and the halyard is tied around 60 inches down from the top of the upper boom, +/- one sail ring. This puts the aft end of the lower boom up higher to reduce getting hit in the noggin, and it is easier to duck under.

Thank you :) ...
My hull needs cosmetics repairs, nothing bad ;),
Any experience of mast repairs (my has hole of corrosion), or replacement :( ?

Attachments

• IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
I just worry about the strength from my mast. It seems the corrosion from inside reach the outside :( .
30 years in salt atmosphere :eek:..
Hole itself is not an issue and I don't want to spend xxxx USD for it.

Attachments

• IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1929.JPG
    IMG_1929.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 61
Where - on the mast - is the hole located? Doesn't appear to be near the gooseneck, which is under stress. Seems to me that removing the mast bottom & top pieces - and replacing them with new would be a way to consider what's going on inside that mast. I'm confident that Beldar could provide you guidance and, perhaps, spare parts...

Good luck,
AQBill

Swap the ends or cut off ½-inch.

Having the existing corrosion could become an advantage at the top, as the halyard can wear the plastic down to the aluminum to make hoisting nearly impossible--while wearing out the halyard itself. Just weeks ago, this strain pulled my fairlead out from the deck! :oops:

While you're there, spray the interior with a corrosion-resisting substance--preferably one with "creep". Keep the existing hole and use the plastic "snorkel" that is packaged with the corrosion inhibitor and refresh the inhibitor every season.

If the factory's corks are still inside, I'd glue them in. The glue product "Goop" ($9) is packaged with an extension nozzle.

As masts are expensive to replace, I've filled my ex-racer Sunfish mast with "Pond & Stone" made by Great Stuff. I'm not recommending this treatment for salt water environments.

A replacement mast can be made from aluminum tubing bought through a metals merchant--but they need to be searched for: One I used in Rhode Island (to buy four) has closed its doors. :(

Good new: I found a mast very clean for 80 USD ...:);):)
Already in my storage :D:rolleyes:
What hasn't passed through my hands is a Mini-Sunfish mast; however, I was fooled into buying a 10-foot mast of great thickness and weight. :( As it turned out, it sailed OK, and at minimum, it won't break! :rolleyes:

Back