Sail replacement

altair

This summer will be the fourth season I have used my racing sail. I sail in about 5 or 6 regattas a year. I might get out about 6 other times to just practice. What is the best way to determine if it is time to replace a sail?

While I dont know specifically about sunfish sails, generally you want to check that the material is still crisp and that the sail shape is still good.

If youre looking to upgrade, id be happy to help and buy your old sail for a fair price. Let me know!

Figuring out when it is time for a new sail is tough. Unlike other boats, Sunfish sails can still perform well when they are old. If you notice you are slower than other boats or are pointing lower, especially if you used to be able to do better against those same sailors, it is time. I think if you need to put your gooseneck further back to minimize weather helm that is a sign too, but someone may be able to correct me on that. But if you notice those you could hold your own with or beat are now doing better than you, get a new sail! BB

I agree with BB.....It is more important to hit the shift and make good decisions on the race course.

I just replaced a sail last year that was purchased in 1999. During that time I averaged probably 90-100 races a year. I am still going to use that sail for club racing because it still seems to go pretty well.

Mike Fortner
Rochester Canoe Club

Back