Sail Numbers and Bow Protection

Skipper5001

Hello all,

Recently the Sea Scout Ship, I am Skipper of, was donated a great Sunfish. It is in really good condition and the Sea Scouts have been loving it. It came with a solid white sail that have no marking on it at all. I would like to get the class marker and number on the sail soon. I am totally confused and to what numbers I need to put on it. I am have seen a data plate with the info. If you could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Sunfish.jpg

The second issue I have is the the bow of the boat, where it touches the trailer is starting to have some wear on it. Is there a common solution for this...something after market?

Thank you all for the help!

The numbers are assigned when you join the Sunfish class. It won’t correspond to the number on the hull. You can read about that at sunfishclass.org. It for Sea Scouts I think you can make up whatever number you like.

You can usually buy a Sunfish sail sticker on EBay. It’s not an official Sunfish item but it works!

A poly roller/chock...the ones other than black, shouldn't wear or leave marks on the hull. ..or even a sock over it for extra protection . At Sailrite.com, you can buy colored insignia, adhesive backed salicloth. Maybe a custom made Sea Scout logo, etc?

Congrats on your new boat, the Scouts will get to try out all of their knots on her. Does she have a name yet?

You could make up a fun logo, the Sea Scouts logo would look nice, fleur de lis over an anchor, with maybe your organization number. The adhesive-backed insignia sailcloth will peel off, but if you get as far along as to do Sunfish Class regattas you should have a Class approved sail.

Join the Sunfish Class to be assigned a Class number.

Please upload a picture of the bow.

And if you tell us the number on the data plate we can tell you the year.

Cheers
Clark and Skipper

Here is a pic of the damage. I know how to fix the fiberglass, my question is how to protect it in the future.
20180827_173548.jpg

Also here is the data plate number

20180827_173628.jpg

Repair the damage and don't run into things. And don't strap down the boat too tight, make sure there is a bumper or pad on the trailer bow support.

Your boat is a 1978 AMF.

The problem with not running into things is I imagine the Sea Scouts will be learning on this boat. But the reality is they need to show some care for the boat and hopefully with some good coaching will not get in big, damaging crashes.

Here is a pic of the damage. I know how to fix the fiberglass, my question is how to protect it in the future.

Here, yesterday, I saw that a heavy line could be passed through an eye molded into the hull. :cool:
(Mini Sunfish?—I forget) :oops:

I started thinking that line would be an aid in lifting my Sunfish the two-plus feet onto the dock. (Which increases, as the lake is drawn-down over Autumn). :eek:

And then, I could run into things! :)

The problem with not running into things is I imagine the Sea Scouts will be learning on this boat. But the reality is they need to show some care for the boat and hopefully with some good coaching will not get in big, damaging crashes.

They can sail, most of them have been sailing over a year or so. My concern was more with wear and tear from the trailer. I'm going to patch it up and get it ready to get back out on the water!

The Sunfish I sailed at scout camp had a quarter sized hole in the bow. Those were
the days.
tumblr_nvm0ayphkE1rgfuxjo4_r1_1280.jpg

Since you're fixing the bow anyway the simplest method is to build up extra layers of
fiberglass. The bow is manufactured as thin as the rest of the hull which makes it fragile
for ordinary knocks. You can pretty much add fiberglass to the point where short of
hitting the dock at ramming speed you'll just need to do a little sanding and then paint
with future mishaps.

Back