Sail # info wanted

Depends on the event and the sponsoring clubs policy. I've seen some folks get away with just putting a letter or one digit on the sail. The primary purpose is to be able to identify the boat for scoring their finish or being over early at the start.

If it's a Laser class event you will need numbers on the sail.

As I mentioned. Depending on the event and the policy of the hosting club you may be able to get away w/no number or you might have to put something on it. I'll go out on a ledge and say there are not many sails like yours out there anymore. It's a classic. They could just score you as "purple sail".

You'd be hard pressed to find a regatta where you don't require some kind of number. Just throw on a single digit for now. The race committee has to be able to identify you

As I understand it the numbers are required in any Class sanctioned event, however in your case you will likely be the only one with a Purple sail anywhere within 50 miles of the race. From what I understand no one races colored sails (for the last 30+ years) because if their mast is just a touch over the start line the committee boat will know for sure which boat it was. Someone in the field of white sails might be a bit harder to identify since you can only see the leading edge of the mast and not the numbers and therfore might not get called back. On the plus side if you are just a touch ahead over the finish line they will see you for sure. However the crowd at the finish is a bit thinner in most races. Intensity has a good price on number sets.

Just out of interest... what the hell kind of sail is that?

Sorry for my ignorance about the purple sail. I would be glad to know what it is. The only guess I had was an Elvstrom (sic) sail and has been written about here.

Cheers,
Jon

Although it is only a small picture, I do not think that this sail is a class legal one from the 80's.

The picture in the avatar does not even seem to have a window, nor the usual red Laser sailmaker's patch and finally does not seem to have the white panel with the red Laser insignia.

I think it is just one of the many non-legal sails made up over the years to fit a Laser.

It is a pity that you cannot get legal coloured Laser sails any more.

Although it is only a small picture, I do not think that this sail is a class legal one from the 80's.

The picture in the avatar does not even seem to have a window, nor the usual red Laser sailmaker's patch and finally does not seem to have the white panel with the red Laser insignia.

I think it is just one of the many non-legal sails made up over the years to fit a Laser.

It is a pity that you cannot get legal coloured Laser sails any more.

You are right. I missed the missing window and the insignia.

Back when I raced Hobies we stayed away from colored sails as the rumor was the sail makers used the dye to hide flaws in the cloth. Don't know if that was true.

just a rumor, the truth is that colored cloth is made from different lots (aka batches) of cloth, ie red made from lot A and blue made from lot B and so on..

Each lot can have slightly different stretch numbers, so when you mix colors, you end up with a sail made from different lots and the chances of one panel stretching differently from the next is pretty high.

In full batten sails like Hobie mains, it's not as noticeable, as the battens either prevent or hide issues that show up in a short batten sail

For anyone who was curious: there were several "colored" sail variations that came with "super lasers" in the 80's. Some of these boats also said "laser laser laser" down the side of the hull, and had two-tone decks (white gel coat, grey or tan non-skid). Some models included black anodized spars. The sails I saw at the laser dealer I worked for back then:
1) a white sail with a "rainbow" pattern just above the window
2) a colored sail alternating blue/purple/white panels
3) a colored sail alternating red/orange/white panels
4) a "multi" color sail including purple, red, orange, yellow and white
5) a white sail with a "flame" pattern, like something you'd see on the side of a Harley. No Lie, I've sailed on this boat....

I still have my 1982 sail - purple/dark blue/light blue/white... it's more comfortable than an old blanket now. I use it when doing capsize drills with my kids. Gotta get them used to getting wet early!

I still have my 1982 sail - purple/dark blue/light blue/white... it's more comfortable than an old blanket now. I use it when doing capsize drills with my kids. Gotta get them used to getting wet early!

I have matching colored sails for both my 80 92875 and 81 100541 boats, dark orange, light orange yellow, I think they called it sunset (or sunrise) they are very soft and comforatble and great for slow evening sails, (or capsize drills)

I remember those colors. We had a "Tequila Sunrise" Hobie sail from the same era. But I think you might have the years of your boats wrong. I had a '82 - #98079.

I remember those colors. We had a "Tequila Sunrise" Hobie sail from the same era. But I think you might have the years of your boats wrong. I had a '82 - #98079.

100541 was purchased in 82 originally by my brother, but the Hull number clearly says 81 in the year spot. 92875 I just acquired third hand and it clearly says 80 in the hull number. SO I would guess you bought your boat in 82 but it was an 81 like my "newer" boat.

As a point of reference, Laser 100,000 came out in 1981. I'm looking forward to number 200,000 coming out in the next few years. Hopefully they might do something special to celebrate - maybe bring back coloured sails!

Anyway here are some original factory brochures with a sample of some of the coloured sails that have been available over the years.

Also, many readers of the Forum may not realise that back in the "good old days" coloured sails were actually used at the Laser worlds in 1979, 1980, 1982 and 1983 so I've copied the Beam Reach covers from those days.

Sorry there is no colour 'photo from the '83 Worlds, but if the forum members who were there and have any 'photos the would like to post, that would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 80Worlds.jpg
    80Worlds.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 79Worlds.jpg
    79Worlds.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 82Worlds.jpg
    82Worlds.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 83Worlds.jpg
    83Worlds.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 88
  • WildfireEtc.jpg
    WildfireEtc.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 89
  • PolarEtc.jpg
    PolarEtc.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Sunrise Brochure.jpg
    Sunrise Brochure.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Laser100000.jpg
    Laser100000.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 129
  • ILCA Brochure.JPG
    ILCA Brochure.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 83
I am new on this forum and have been reading these articles with great interest. I had thought a similar question as I have three sails and three different numbers all acquired when I purchased boat.

How does one determine which number to use on sail (to avoid a preselected number) ? TIA

I am new on this forum and have been reading these articles with great interest. I had thought a similar question as I have three sails and three different numbers all acquired when I purchased boat.

How does one determine which number to use on sail (to avoid a preselected number) ? TIA

Your sail number is determined from your hull number.

Your sail number is determined from your hull number.

Well thank you for the info as that makes sense since that would provide unique number. ;)

And, I am guessing that I select the last five (5) numbers or as they would be the most unique. :confused: Nope. :eek:

I just checked my hull id of ZFS86512M80F, so the only five consecutive numbers would be 86512.

After taking them out of sail bag, I have looked at my 3 sails--

i) one white sail with number 86512 (all in red),
ii) one multi-colored with number 86512 (all in black)
iii) one white sail with the number 25 (black) above number 10300 (with 10 in red and 300 in black)

Any explanation for use of the red numbers as opposed to black numbers and a combination of red/black?

Well thank you for the info as that makes sense since that would provide unique number. ;)

And, I am guessing that I select the last five (5) numbers or as they would be the most unique. :confused: Nope. :eek:

I just checked my hull id of ZFS86512M80F, so the only five consecutive numbers would be 86512.

After taking them out of sail bag, I have looked at my 3 sails--

i) one white sail with number 86512 (all in red),
ii) one multi-colored with number 86512 (all in black)
iii) one white sail with the number 25 (black) above number 10300 (with 10 in red and 300 in black)

Any explanation for use of the red numbers as opposed to black numbers and a combination of red/black?

ZFS means it was a performance sailcraft boat, 86512 is the hull/sail number

The previous owner must have picked up a sail from an older boat 10300 would likely be a mid to early seventies boat. The sail numbers technically should be two colors where the last four digits are one color (usually black) and the first two (or in your case 1 unless you want to add a lead 0) are another usually red. I think in 80 that rule was not defiend yet as they had not thought about making the numbers easier to read when they got past 5 digits. Given the age of your boat and sails I think many race committess would not force you to renumber your sails as long as they match the hull and are visible. If you really get into class racing all the pundits on here will tell you to buy a new sail anyway and even a newer boat. Then you have to decide how competitive you can afford to be, or you can just have fun the way I do....

ZFS... performance sailcraft, 86512 hull/sail. The... 10300... early seventies. ... should be two colors ...last four (black) and first two (red). ...or you can just have fun the way I do....

Thanks for that info (drwatershed). :)

Using: http://www.lasersailing.com/boat-info/uk/introduction

No info for #10300 number but for #86512, I have a 1981 LASER.

Good idea on purchase of new sail. :cool:

A little OT: I have only sailed her once briefly as I usually sail my catamaran but I will be using her for solo sailing at the Wednesday night series at AYC in Austin, TX and for sailing fun in general. And, it is in fairly decent shape-- no soft spots, mast step in decent shape and only several minor nicks in gel coat which I will resolve this week as I have already picked up supplies from Chuck at The Sailboat Shop and awaiting for delivery of Kitty Hawk trailer. I am contemplating the c'ham/outhaul and vang upgrades, which may happen after I take her out after the maiden voyage. :eek:

Re: Just looking for a Sail #Serial number info.

Hi All

I Could write a book as to how this came about? Ohh God, but to the point .

I just need a serial number to match a sail number on a old laser.Cannot find a number anywhere in the cockpit, the transom or the under side of the deck at the bow for a serial number.
Sail # 49 ....I tried several avenues on the computer and received nothing.It needs to be sailed and registered to its new owners.It would be great to find any of her history,since shes a old original boat {assumed}.Its now going to be sailed by a 20 somethings couple having high hopes of young dreams.

Most appreciated.

Again sail numberis 49... Red hull, white deck.

Thanks and fair winds

lt4supr

Back