Sail cover yes or no

maciekdp

Is it necessary to keep the boom/gaff/sail in some kind of a cover (maybe wrapped in tarp) while trailering the boat? I'm going camping in NH for the weekend and I'm bringing the sunfish. Any suggestions as far as what works well?

I cover my sail when moving it at highway speeds. Imagine how much of the life of the sail you use flapping it in the wind at 70 mph. I would tightly wrap the spars, sail and mast in a tarp (cheap blue plastic if that's all that is available). FYI, Mastheadsailinggear.com sells a very nice zip-up cover that holds the sail, mast and spars for about $50. It is easier to load/unload than the "Sunfish" bag.

Another site to try is teamfoxy.com They make covers for the sail, mast, spars and also for the dagger board and rudder.

Just get a spar bag and put everything on top of the 'fish, then tie it down using the halyard clete, bridle straps, and the front of the trailer. Use some foam blocks or boat fenders to raise the bag above the splash guard so it won't be resting on the guard. Works for me.

Fred

maciekdp,

Get a cover/spar bag (with full length zippers, end loaders are a bit of a pain), keeps things nice and tidy (and prevents wear and tear on the sail). A cover can also prevent accidents by keeping the sail from catching the wind and being torn off the car/boat/trailer (it has happened). If your sail is wet when placed in the bag at the sailing site, remove it and dry it and the bag/cover when you get home (otherwise things can get nasty looking). Another alterative is the sail/spar tube made from 8" PVC pipe (see Tips and Tricks on the class home page).

Back