What's new

Sail Comparison of new sails, is there a major difference?

shorefun

So I have my blue and white sailboat at the club and I took it out for a sail. This is the blue long strip boat I did a major repair to the hull.

It sails great, but...

I am 6' 6" tall and the sail does not have a window. For me it feels unsafe no being able to see through the sail. The sail is in really good condition, crispy, with a bit of fade in one area and is a factory Sunfish made by North Sails.

I checked already and the only sail places that can install the windows are close to an hour away and I would have to drive it up and wait for them to install the window. They are really busy right now. The cost will be around $100.

I am contemplating just buying a new sail with a window. Looking at Sunfish direct they have the Vanguard sails at $300 and the non branded sails are $249. I kind of prefer the colors on the non-branded sails.

What is the build/ quality difference between the sails?

I am looking at the value of my sail may be around $100-$150 throw in the cost of fuel it might be even between buying new and having a window put in mine.

Breeze Bender

Breeze Bender
You might want to check out Neil Pryde- good sails, lots of color choices, and the price is right. A window is added to any sail for an additional $25. Made right in CT.
If you want the Sunfish on it you can make them from insignia cloth. I also see someone on ebay is selling them 2 for $25 (one for each side)
Sounds like your sail is otherwise in great shape. For top dollar I’d put it on eBay with some good pics. Shipping in US is about $15 so pass that on to the buyer.
You might come close to breaking even on the swap!

4cpus4me

You might want to check out Neil Pryde- good sails, lots of color choices, and the price is right. A window is added to any sail for an additional $25. Made right in CT.
If you want the Sunfish on it you can make them from insignia cloth. I also see someone on ebay is selling them 2 for $25 (one for each side)
Sounds like your sail is otherwise in great shape. For top dollar I’d put it on eBay with some good pics. Shipping in US is about $15 so pass that on to the buyer.
You might come close to breaking even on the swap!
Those are some good prices on the sails if the quality is decent.

Smithnmin

The Pryde sails were cut very flat. No power. They also used to install windows with a grid pattern in them.
Pryde is listing its colored sails at 83.6 sq feet with slightly longer luff, leech and foot. Sunfish Direct colorful class legal sails are 75 sq ft. So it would seem that the Pryde sails offer a little more performance than the standard class legal...Yes?

beldar boathead

Pryde is listing its colored sails at 83.6 sq feet with slightly longer luff, leech and foot. Sunfish Direct colorful class legal sails are 75 sq ft. So it would seem that the Pryde sails offer a little more performance than the standard class legal...Yes?
I don’t think so. Sunfish sails from the manufacturer have changed over the years , esp the racing sail which has a lot more draft, but still claim to be 75 sq feet. The Pryde sail may be more accurately measured, and the let new one I saw about 2 years ago was very flat.

Smithnmin

I don’t think so. Sunfish sails from the manufacturer have changed over the years , esp the racing sail which has a lot more draft, but still claim to be 75 sq feet. The Pryde sail may be more accurately measured, and the let new one I saw about 2 years ago was very flat.
Ahh, okay. I have a race cut practice APS sail, do you happen to know anything about those? Are they the same dimensions as the class legal race cut? Since they are out of business, I'm having trouble finding any info. If I wanted a slightly less drafty sail for gusty mountain lake sailing do you have a company you would recommend? I don't need class legal.

tag

my2fish
Ahh, okay. I have a race cut practice APS sail, do you happen to know anything about those? Are they the same dimensions as the class legal race cut? Since they are out of business, I'm having trouble finding any info. If I wanted a slightly less drafty sail for gusty mountain lake sailing do you have a company you would recommend? I don't need class legal.
Did you earlier ask the same question on my blog?

Your best option would probably be a Minifish sail. You might find a used one for sale here on the Sunfish Forum, or Neil Pryde sells brand new ones for a pretty reasonable price. Neil Pryde Mini-Fish Sails

Smithnmin

Did you earlier ask the same question on my blog?

Your best option would probably be a Minifish sail. You might find a used one for sale here on the Sunfish Forum, or Neil Pryde sells brand new ones for a pretty reasonable price. Neil Pryde Mini-Fish Sails
Yes, I did. I saw that you mentioned APS on your blog. A simple recreation sail may be enough of a reduction for my purpose. I'll take a look at the minifish sail.

Reactions: tag

tag

my2fish
Yes, I did. I saw that you mentioned APS on your blog. A simple recreation sail may be enough of a reduction for my purpose. I'll take a look at the minifish sail.
My understanding of the APS race cut sail and the Intensity Sails race cut sail is they are meant to be a close replica of the “class legal” version from LP. I’m not sure if just going to a rec sail would make enough difference, but you could try it.
Also might be worth looking into setting up a Jens rig. And adjusting your gooseneck setting depending on the wind speed.

Smithnmin

My understanding of the APS race cut sail and the Intensity Sails race cut sail is they are meant to be a close replica of the “class legal” version from LP. I’m not sure if just going to a rec sail would make enough difference, but you could try it.
Also might be worth looking into setting up a Jens rig. And adjusting your gooseneck setting depending on the wind speed.
Absolutely! I have been doing a lot of research on rigging options. Thank you. I questioned trying out the original sail, which I still have, to see if it was any better, but I'm afraid it would shred into a million bits. It is super soft and thin, kind of like a bedsheet after over 40 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: tag

sailcraftri

I sell new Sunfish sails with windows for $165 plus shipping. I have about 6 color choices.

Blue Wave: blue, light blue and white
Sunrise: Blue, red, orange, gold, yellow and white
Dragon: Blue, red, green, light blue, yellow and white
Mackinaw: Blue, white and green
Red and white
Go Navy: yellow, blue and white

shorefun

I have spent $40 to get what I need to put in the sail myself.

I should add I have a friend who has a straight stitch heavy duty machine and does boat canvas and seats once in a while for people. It is $20 for the plastic, $13 for the thread and $5 for the basting tape from Sailrite. While straight stich is not the preferred, it works if you do a double stitch.

As an aside, you need to by 2 yards of plastic which is fairly wide. So there is enough materials to do a several sails. Turns out I have several sails for the club so I might practice some first.