Sail Cleaning

havent you ever watched into your boat
or a friends boat that has an inspection port its glass fiber then they put gelcoat
as paint and if u us lots of sanpaper one day you will notice your boat is turning yellow thats the glass fiber

I dont know about how to clean the sail... but refinishing your hull is illegal... (not the foils mind).

BTW: how do you get your telltales to stop sticking. Ive tried candle wax, but it didnt work very well...

Originally posted by Kragen
---snip---
BTW: how do you get your telltales to stop sticking. Ive tried candle wax, but it didnt work very well...

Sailkote works well on both wool and nylon telltales, spray some on both the telltales and the area on the sail where they fly

Silicone spray (sold as a lube in auto parts and hardware stores)also works well, just make sure the spray doesn't contain petroleum distillates

Scotchguard works well also.

It should go without saying, but make sure your telltales aren't placed so that they can catch on any of the seams/stitching in the sail.

To clear some issues up:

Lasers are moulded from GRP (fibreglass) (Which is a mixture of glass strands and a polyester (plastic) resin.)

To protect the GRP from the water and UV light, as well as give it a nicer appearance, gelcoat is put on the outside.

Gelocat is a polyester resin that has been pigmented before it is applied.

Never mind 1200 it takes some serious sanding with 120 to get thru the gelcoat on a laser. (don't ask why I know this....) Anyways. To bring back the shine and depth associated with a nice gelcoat job try using a marine cutting paste and a variable speed buffer. I finish with a 2000 paste. Beautiful finish. Waxing? Wax melts and is a great place for tree fluff and other detritus to stick to.

Steve.

are you saying wax is good or bad. i sanded a small part of my hull, but how do i get it to shine again

as for making the boat slippery, i like teflon. it's the exact opposite of wax- nothing sticks, not even water

Use polish and a polishing mop attached to an electric drill to bring the hull back to a gloss finish after sanding with fine wet and dry.

Back