Sail and Setup

AdvKayaker

I'm hearing a bazillion different measurements and would like a few replies please from those more experienced than I.
Recreational user and beginner here. 6', 170lb. Will for nearly all sailings be just myself. Possibly my 30lb dog in addition but only after I get much more proficient. Right now I feel I'm a hazard to all but the local gators. lol So here goes.
2003 Vantage Sunfish, stock sail afaik.
Length from top of upper boom to the halyard? Again, purely recreational set-up/advice please.
Length from front of lower boom to the gooseneck?
I have a rudder with tiller only. Would like to know of they make a telescoping extension. Any owners of one recommend a particular style/brand?
I feel I'm doing certain things wrong but would like to confirm it isn't the setup that's creating it or making things worse.

Two items from my know-it-all / big-sailboat-buddy :rolleyes::

When pressed to go racing in Sunfish, he took a broomstick, a drill and a bolt and made a tiller extension. :cool:

From this wreck rec-sailor, I'd adjust the sail so the gooseneck is about 11 inches above the deck, and more importantly, keep the clew of the sail higher than the tack. The side appearance looks more like a checkmark than an "L".

With the halyard, the trick is to attach the halyard to the upper spar so it can adjust easily. This can be done by forming a bowline-knot about 15 inches in diameter. (Depends on the halyard's diameter). Pass the extreme end of the knot through itself three times, then slip the bitter end through. This is a strong-gripping attachment, yet when slackened, slides easily in either direction. There's also no metal-to-metal contact. :cool:

Here's a picture of "the gripper" that's working for me:

P8300015.JPG

And since all my spare shower curtain hooks have been used replacing broken ones... I think I may go this route.

Attachments

• 8751469597_4686a0fc03.jpg
    8751469597_4686a0fc03.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 32
We put our gooseneck at 22 inches, and tie the halyard about 5 rings down from the top. Set the gooseneck, the play with the halyard until the end of the boom rises a bit over the stern. We call it the Geezer Rig.

Check our blog post

Same rig on VIPER. Note how the sail is laced on with 1/8th inch line, how Alcort used to do it.

Viper geezer rig.jpg

IMG_3308.JPG

I'll do just that prior to my next outing. Thank you even though it's considered a gezzer rig. lol I'm 61, that hurts a little. =)
Something I noticed this last outing and I think I figured it out a few minutes ago.
I was hearing a faint, strange almost/kind of a groaning noise coming from the boat this last outing. Somewhere it front of me was where I sensed it to be coming from. It was the first time I'd ever heard it. Granted this last trip was only my third in a sailboat. Anyway, because of my worries of tipping the first two times out, I was using the excess halyard line (after securing the sail), to go back up and around the gooseneck to prevent the mast from coming out of the boat (something a video had recommended). By doing that I was in essence making a boom Vang was I not? The noise I was hearing was the gooseneck climbing the mast. That's my thought anyway.
Another problem I was having this last time out and not previous was losing a constant speed. I'd be cruising along and all of a sudden lose all power. No change direction of the boat, wind or any other factors. Seating, rudder, tension of the mainstay was unchanged. I'm willing to bet that that's about the time I heard the strange noise and all went to hell. Just as a note, power/speed would also come in the same manner. Equally as unpredictable.
Right wrong or indifferent. I'm securing the gooseneck down like I had my first two excursions and seeing if the noise goes away and the cruising is back to being more constant.
This new venture, as simple as it may be for many is quite challenging for me. It's a lot of fun learning from others and teaching myself new things. Good stuff!

We also call it the Rec Rig :) We geezers don't like to duck. Skipper has more room to exercise.

IMG_0886.jpg

Your noise might be the daggerboard humming, vibrating in the trunk. It can create drag. Which daggerboard do you have?

Not mine but that one. Fish is a 2002 Vanguard. And yes, the noise could have very well been the flutter of the dagger board. Never had the noise prior though and conditions were very similar.
22571-336f8535570d6bcff1b1380eaa839cf6.jpg

As for the slowdown, could that be attributed to grass or weeds caught on your daggerboard in your sailing area?

No the area is clear of that. I hadn't thought of that. I'll try and remember to bring my GoPro next time. That said, I hope it doesn't happen again to film. haha

Back