Class Politics Rules- Hailing?

ChrisS

Can anyone just confirm for me the terms that are used to hail another boat when they breach a rule? i.e. "starboard" when you have right of way over a port tacker. What are the rest? All help appreciated!:)

Personally I like either:

Uh Dearest competitor?? I may be mistaken about this but, I believe there is a scintilla of a possiblilty that perhaps maybe you have either un witingly or by cause of forces out of your control recently been a paticipant in an unfortunate event about which I am obliged to make a verbal communication.

or

censored.jpg

Can anyone just confirm for me the terms that are used to hail another boat when they breach a rule? i.e. "starboard" when you have right of way over a port tacker. What are the rest? All help appreciated!:)

PROTEST

and the sail number to make sure there is no confusion about whom you are protesting.

I don't think you are under any obligation to explain, although it might help the other party to understand why you just yelled "PROTEST".

You only call protest after an incident has occured where you believe the other boat is committed a foul.

Common Hails:
'Starboard' Rule 10 - Starboard Boat has Right of Way (ROW)
'Up' Rule 11 - Windward boat must keep clear
'Proper course' Rule 17 (too complicated for one line)
'Room/buoyroom/water' Rule 18 - Room to pass an obstruction/mark
'Room to tack/duck' Rule 19 - again too complicated

Regarding Murphs message, ChrisS indicated that a foul had occurred ("when they breach a rule").

I believe there are only 2 occasions where the RRS require you to hail:

1) Protest, to be a stickler that should be the only words that leave your mouth (although fair sportmanship would encourage a sail number and perhaps a breif explanation)

2) Water for an obstruction (bank, pier, ship, other boat) in this occasion the hailed boat is also required to respond by either hailing 'You Tack' indicating that they will keep clear or they should immediately tack away.

You do not need to call for Starboard, Windward boat etc... as all boats are required to keep an adequate watch out. Although again sportmanship would encourage some warning before you are right on top of someone prior to shouting protest (prevention is better than cure IMO).

How about "Room".

Room at the mark.
Room to Round.
Overlap.

I think it helps to let someone know when you are taking them up.

Although a hail of starboard isn't required it is more often than not helpful. Never assume that port boat has seen you.

Rob,

I missed the 2 other rooms....but there is no requirment in the rules to hail when overlapped!

Althogh I grant that sometimes 'good sportsmanship' would encourage you to hail.

Sorry this one took so long to come back to mind. We all must be slipping:

Do you know who I am??

Rob,

I missed the 2 other rooms....but there is no requirment in the rules to hail when overlapped!

Althogh I grant that sometimes 'good sportsmanship' would encourage you to hail.

I agree with this, IMHO it is good to hail when overlapped so that protests and collisions will not happen at every mark. It is always good to let the person know that there is an overlap so that you try to go inside them and end up colliding. This also helps in the case of protests as you have a case that you gave them adequate time and warning to keep clear, as many protetsts are the result of whether or not there was an overlap.

Back